Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice. What is the best type of fly line to throw for clouser minnows. Not brand but design, floating, sink tip type 2 or type 3, or full sink type 2

·
Registered
273 Posts
All the above - try any of the multi-tip systems and you'll be able to cover all depths of water. Just get some good double-haul form and go with short leaders on the sinking tips.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I do almost 100 percent of my fishing for wipers with a weight forward floating line....but i usually chase them when they are in the shallows in the spring and fall. with a floating line i fish a 9 ft leader and allow my fly (which is almost always weighted) to sink. I suppose if i was to go after them in deeper water a sink tip (type IV) would work also...just count down until you get to the depth you desire. shorten up your leader to about 4 or 5 feet when you do this, it will allow you fly to ride at the right depth then without floating up above your fly line. I fish only Scientific Anglers Mastery series fly lines, they are what i like and last a long time if you take care of them. Thats just my personal preferece, Rio makes a good line also...

·
Registered
164 Posts
The question is pretty open-ended and I don't mean that in a bad way..... It depends on where you’re fishing, what time of year, depth of water... There are so many variables to fishing for stripers and wipers... I use floating, intermediate and fast sinking fly lines by Rio... Mostly because today’s rods are to fast for my taste and they make there lines a 1/2 size heavier to help load fast action rods.. (sometimes I will even buy a 10wt line for my nine weight rod….but another topic for another day).........I fish mostly for striped bass and some wiper and have found that most of my success comes from fishing for them with an intermediate line...Mainly because 95% of the fish I have caught have been within 5 feet of the surface when you would not even know they were there.... Also, it allows you to go deep if needed to find where the fish are holding 10 20 30 feet etc.. ... But I think all three are needed if you plan to fish for them all year round… (I went fishing with my brother-in-law and he was using an intermediate line and I had on a floating line... He started nailing striper after striper ... 35 inch fish...:)  and I could not even get a look... I ended up putting on extra weights and a longer leader before I hooked my first fish... but he still caught more fish then me 4/1……Since that day I always start with an intermediate line.  Especially, during bright sunny days..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have decided on a inter. full sink line, but now need suggestions on brand/type of line. I am looking at a full clear line. Yet advised to stay away from it because it gets stiff with the mono core. I looking at fishing at conditions of about 40 degrees air temp. Any suggestions on line?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The only intermediate clear line i have fished is the Scientific Angler clear intermediate sink. It casts great and worked well, but be sure you use a stripping basket, as it (along with any full sink line) has a tendency to get wrapped around you legs while wading or in a belly boat. also make sure you backing is colorless (white) or it might turn the color of your backing after some time (mine turned flourecent green at the end) It does cast well though and shot through my guides like it was greased...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have all three, but looking for other advice. I just gopt an avid 7wt rod. It can throw a clouser fine but dies when thrown into a tough head wind. My full sink is a type 2 so it sinks to fast on a slow strip, but cast fine into the wind. I have a Teeny sink tip that has a type 3 tip. It is like throwing a floating line with a chain on the end. My rod can't handlre the line. I tried a faster action rod and did better, but can't afford a new rod. So I picked up as slow sink clear line.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I suppose another choice would be "overloading" your 7 wt Avid with an 8 weight WF-Ffoating line. i do this sometimes on my faster rods with good results. if that doesnt work and it doesnt throw well with the 7 wt WF line then...man, i dont know....could be time for a faster or heavier rod if you plan on fishing in the wind a lot. i throw a 7 wt 9 1/2 ft Sage XP with 7 wt WF floating line with no real problems in the wind....well reasonable wind that is. if its gusting 20 mph im not sure if any setup will work well, short of a 10 wt.

my other advice (since you cant get another rod just yet) is to position your self with your back to the wind and cast that way...or try the "backwards" cast technique where you face into the wind and punch out as much line as you can infront of you and then let your backcast land behind you.....that works well believe it or not, i do it quite a bit.

yet another alternative is to just shorten up your casts and try shooting more line for more distance with a double haul in between wind gusts. if all else fails dont give up...ive caught plenty of wipers on short casts if you are wading quietly and are persistant. dealing with wind is just a normal day of fishing around here it seems...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts