Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when the Wiper bite slows or what it does this time of the year? Thanks for any information!!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
ScottN said:
Never had a wiper, and haven't even heard of them before joining here. Are they good eating?
Can be pretty tasty until they are bigger(8or9lbs and up) then they become stronger tasting and rather grainy. The young ones, while not as mild as perch or walleye are quite good with a rather firm flesh.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Wiper are still biting. Not sure when they will stop but I would imagine that they will stop once the water gets below 60 degrees. That's just my opinion though.

I also think wipers taste good. Jeremy hit it right. Bigger ones not that good but you would be hard pressed to find a better tasting fish below 18".

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Wiper are still biting. Not sure when they will stop but I would imagine that they will stop once the water gets below 60 degrees. That's just my opinion though.

I also think wipers taste good. Jeremy hit it right. Bigger ones not that good but you would be hard pressed to find a better tasting fish below 18".
That one you cooked up last year at Pueblo Res while camping was not that good in my opinion. I know they're lean fish, no blubber, but it tasted too much like fat. Maybe it's cause the only garnish we had was butter, salt and pepper. Godo job with the filet with a 3.5" knife though. haha

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Slimer said:
Rivrunnr1 said:

That one you cooked up last year at Pueblo Res while camping was not that good in my opinion. I know they're lean fish, no blubber, but it tasted too much like fat. Maybe it's cause the only garnish we had was butter, salt and pepper. Godo job with the filet with a 3.5" knife though. haha
Hard for me to remember but wasn't that fish kinda bigger?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Slimer said:
Rivrunnr1 said:

Hard for me to remember but wasn't that fish kinda bigger?
Not that big. It was this one.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
with wipers you have to cut out certain parts. the blood line or whatever they call it and the red meat. you can also get rid of the fishy taste by soaking em in sprite pre batter. for about thirty min or more. thats what i do.
friend pulled a 11 1/2 pd wiper out about a week ago.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
TL1000R said:
with wipers you have to cut out certain parts. the blood line or whatever they call it and the red meat. you can also get rid of the fishy taste by soaking em in sprite pre batter. for about thirty min or more. thats what i do.
friend pulled a 11 1/2 pd wiper out about a week ago.
Got a 9.1 lber 2 weekends ago and I couldn't slaughter it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts