Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this nice weather who has been out waving the stick?

I'm sure most of us hard core fly anglers didn't miss a beat all winter though. I went out last Sunday and that will be the last time I fish any known water on a weekend. What a zoo. Picked up more trash than I usually see in a season!

Also had a chance to hit a little river I used to fish all the time. The little black stones were out in force. Surface action was outstanding. Didn't last long but it was long enough as I had to get back on the road. That's one hatch not to miss on some of the front range waters.

Now I'm buckling down for some massive BWO action. Spent the last 3 weekly sessions of our tyers table completing 4 dozen flies. I'm good for the entire spring hatch now and into next winter. Next will be stones but I may not bother with the nymphs, just dries. If they won't take them on the surface I don't care to catch them. After winter nymphing I look forward to the surface action. There's a water near me that has giant stones but it's a small water. I'll shorten the leader on the old 3wt and cast some #8 and #10 stones. What a hoot! BIG fish can hit the 20" mark but they are very rare. Typical is 16".

The windy season is about here. Good luck and start practicing that Belgian cast. lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been having a blast fishing Mini Jig Leeches in local ponds recently. On Sunday fished for two hours, caught 8 trout, 3 decent crappie and 1 small largemouth. Feels good to be fly fishing again!

·
Registered
354 Posts
With all this nice weather who has been out waving the stick?

I'm sure most of us hard core fly anglers didn't miss a beat all winter though. I went out last Sunday and that will be the last time I fish any known water on a weekend. What a zoo. Picked up more trash than I usually see in a season!

Also had a chance to hit a little river I used to fish all the time. The little black stones were out in force. Surface action was outstanding. Didn't last long but it was long enough as I had to get back on the road. That's one hatch not to miss on some of the front range waters.

Now I'm buckling down for some massive BWO action. Spent the last 3 weekly sessions of our tyers table completing 4 dozen flies. I'm good for the entire spring hatch now and into next winter. Next will be stones but I may not bother with the nymphs, just dries. If they won't take them on the surface I don't care to catch them. After winter nymphing I look forward to the surface action. There's a water near me that has giant stones but it's a small water. I'll shorten the leader on the old 3wt and cast some #8 and #10 stones. What a hoot! BIG fish can hit the 20" mark but they are very rare. Typical is 16".

The windy season is about here. Good luck and start practicing that Belgian cast. lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Slab, I was on the Taylor for a few days a couple weeks back. Tough. I expect tough conditions this time of year, but man the fish were finicky. The weather was great/horrible. Blue skies, no wind, bright sun...great for standing in the water, but horrible for fishing. I went down to 6X and still got a hundred refusals for every look, and 200 for every take. I stayed at 3 Rivers and on the day I was checking out, the guy in the fly shop mentioned that the ice had gone out right across the street by their boat launch. I walked over and of course there were 3 guys already on the water right in the most likely spot. I watched for a while. Talked to them. Watched them catch a few fish. One of them offered me his rod to make a couple drifts. Caught a nice 18" brown on my third swing...and said adios. I love the sunny weather as much as the next guy, but give me overcast and snow any day on the Taylor.

Anyway, tight lines, and have a great year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slab, I was on the Taylor for a few days a couple weeks back. Tough. I expect tough conditions this time of year, but man the fish were finicky. The weather was great/horrible. Blue skies, no wind, bright sun...great for standing in the water, but horrible for fishing. I went down to 6X and still got a hundred refusals for every look, and 200 for every take. I stayed at 3 Rivers and on the day I was checking out, the guy in the fly shop mentioned that the ice had gone out right across the street by their boat launch. I walked over and of course there were 3 guys already on the water right in the most likely spot. I watched for a while. Talked to them. Watched them catch a few fish. One of them offered me his rod to make a couple drifts. Caught a nice 18" brown on my third swing...and said adios. I love the sunny weather as much as the next guy, but give me overcast and snow any day on the Taylor.

Anyway, tight lines, and have a great year.
Cool. The 90cfs flow sucks. I can fish the whole river and only get wet if I want to cross. Low flows and bright days means you better have brought your A++ game or it will be a long fishless day there. Crowded is the norm. I'll fish there a couple times a winter if the right conditions arise and I might pop in a few times in summer while driving through Gunnison. Unfortunately, IMO that river has faded to a shadow of what I remember it as just 10 years ago.
I've been having a blast fishing Mini Jig Leeches in local ponds recently. On Sunday fished for two hours, caught 8 trout, 3 decent crappie and 1 small largemouth. Feels good to be fly fishing again!
Not bad. That's a fish every 5 minutes. I'm waiting for some warm days to do the same. I'm going to give the 3wt a workout on some crappie here. Then I'll make my way over to the river for some freshwater bones on the 8wt. lol

Been cool here though. I'm ready for some hot days!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts