Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Wolford on Sat. 1/21/06, Got there about 07:45 and went to the boat ramp. Lots of people including ATV's, snowmobiles, and even one guy who drove an SUV out onto the ice. Ice was clear and about 15 to 18 inches.

We fished basically off the north point by the boat ramp from about 25 yards out to about 120 yards (15 FOW to 66 FOW). Two very light hits (not on my rods) and we did not land anything amongst the five (5) of us. Man I think I have to get some electronics for ice fishing. We tried all kinds of jigs, colors, and baits.

HISTORICAL POST: Went up there a week and a half ago on 1/12/06 and got two nice rainbows, one about 14 in. and one 18 in. basically in the same spot.
Also we took my fishin buddy's son who has never ice fished before. Just as we were getting packed up to leave at about 12:30 (to beat the traffic) the kid got a major hit. He was having trouble making up any line so I helped him tighten the drag a bit and he eventually got it up to the hole. I could see it clearly through the ice, it was a monster rainbow trout probably between 28 and 30 inches. The kid managed to get the nose up the hole and the eyes just cleared the water when the little chartreuse sweedish pimple hooks bent straight and the monster came off. I tried to grab it (reached my arm into the hole up past the elbow) but it was too late and the fish was gone. Oh well :(, that one should go make babies that will grow up to be monsters too, but it would have been nice to get a picture of it.

Mac

1 - 2 of 2 Posts