Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to Wolford (between Green Mountain and Granby) on Friday 09-30-05. Arrived as sky was just starting to lighten (~06:00). Trolled towards dam from dock and got a brown trout (see below) on my mini pop gear rig. Tried shadrap Rapala got a rainbow. Eventually went with a "Pistol Pete" - like olive wooly booger fly and bubble and got 6 more (but smaller) trout ? and I got a nice Kokanee Salmon (see below). I got a total of 8 trout and a Kok and my fish'n buddy got 6 bows. Weather was nice, slight breeze, blue sky, and nearly no other boats. Left about 19:00

I wound up with first, biggest, most, and most variety ;D, but my buddy got last.

The map below shows where we got our fish

These days I mostly fish Chatfield because it is close and it is so-o-o-o-o nice to fish were there was less boat traffic.

I went to Chatfield on Saturday, October 1, for a few hours in the evening. I didn't get any fish but I did get one MAJOR hit on a small Daredevil (standard red stripes on white). It really felt big while I had it on ? but it ran towards the boat and I didn't react in time and it spit the hooks. Oh well, I'll get him another day.

On the subject of boat traffic ... I saw some boats out there at Chatfield easily doing 60 mph.

WHERE ARE THE RANGERS AT !! ?? ??? :'(

It is really scary when your in a small boat! My most fearful time is right before sundown. It seems like all of the "boatniks" that spend most of the day parked in the no-wake southern end decide ? Hey! Let's pull up anchor and , before we head for the dock, let's run around the entire lake about three times at maximum speed just to blow out the [email protected]*% in our hair. Someone is going to get seriously hurt out there. :(

I think we should get a petition together to limit the speed at Chatfield to 15 mph. At least then the speed demons would have a chance to turn away from a collision.

Thanks for letting me [email protected]#!h.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Man. The reports on this site just keep getting better and better!!!!

Nice brown!!!!

MacGyver-O-Fishin said:
I think we should get a petition together to limit the speed at Chatfield to 15 mph.

I'd sign it!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the fog picture from Wolford

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jay,

I really do get nervous out at Chatfield these days.

Hey,
Did you ever go down to Pueblo for the Wipers?
I remember you won the contest wrt kdozer or something.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Awesome report complete with map instructions...can you drive me too?

bwahahahahahahahhahaa...great job!

·
Registered
943 Posts
nice report i love wholford looks like its going to be a great ice fishing year there again.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
MacGyver-O-Fishin

Great report with images!! I wanted to fish wolford this year however do not think it will happen have other lakes I want to hit. I heard copper castmasters and salmon eggs work great this time of year. Maybe I can squeeze in another trip out that way this year to test the lure out!!

What size pistol where you using?

TH

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zman

sure I'll drive ... but I'm not sure you want to ride in the ugliest boat on the lake.

how about you buy the gas? $$$

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would pay for the gas and as long i dont have to swim i dont care what a boat looks like ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great looking fish and good report.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of the pistal-pete like lure (got it at the bassin shop on south Sheridan).  It's about 1.5 inches long - Olive green - maybe a No 8 or No 6 hook

Zman
I may take you up on the trip ... but have to get a kitchen pass from the wife, and schedule it in at work ... it is getting busy again and I may not be able to break away.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
MacGyver-O-Fishin said:
Hey,
Did you ever go down to Pueblo for the Wipers?
I remember you won the contest wrt kdozer or something.

Nope. By the time I called to set it up he was busy all month. Maybe try next year. :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
You know McGiyver,

I agree with you about the conditions at Chatfield. I fish it about 90% of the time. Its a great lake to fish, sometimes easier a lot of times harder. I never know how I will do, but I really like fishing it.

As for a petition concerning the speeds of boats at the lake that might be something we could do. I don't think they will lower the speed to 15 mph since it is a multi-purpose reservoir. But a petition asking for better patrols of the water, enforcement of the rules and addressing the safety consierations might help.

I would be more than happy to place my John Henry on it.

Dan

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan,
I do not know the logistics for submitting a petition but I will look into it. The other issue is how do we get it signed. Maybe I post a copy and when someone goes out to CSP they print a copy and hit up the other fisherman out there to sign it. I bet I could get a bunch of signatures for as often as I go out there.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
most of the things that bother us about other boaters are allready illegal such as speed over 40 cutting you off driving to close so i dont think new rules will help. i agree in asking for tighter enforcement of the rules

good luck
keep us posted

·
Registered
239 Posts
Iwent to Wolford about three weeks ago with my daughter. She caught

about an l6" rainbow and a couple of others that were smaller. They were

caught between the boat ramp and the first cove heading towards the dam.

They were hitting gold kastmasters....... I only caught one small rainbow

but I can use the excuse that I was busy finding fish for her!

F

·
0 Posts
welcome to the site ...its always great to hear about people taking there kids fishing....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about using some of my spin casting gear but didn't. It sounds like you may have hit on a good pattern. I must have caught that brown trout (first fish) right about where you caught your first fish. ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts