Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit wolford yesterday early. Ice was starting to come away from the shore in a few places but was at least 12". Caught about 4 bows on tipped tubes shallow in an hour but just couldn't get into that rhythm so headed over to GM.

Decided to target the bows at GM and had a blast. Consistent action with the tipped tubes near the shoreline. As usual we had a few lake trout come through even though we were 10 feet from shore.

On the way out we decided to make a quick stop and target lakers. Only had our light gear, but ended up landing another 6 in 50 feet of water - pretty fun on 1.5" tubes and 4lb. test. One of the lakers - maybe 18-20" spit up what was left of a small lake trout - maybe 7 inches long. I guess they do eat their own once they get bigger.

All fish released. Ice, shore ice, in good shape and enough snow to drag the sled from the parking area. Saw a few folks fishing the river right above.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
One of the lakers - maybe 18-20" spit up what was left of a small lake trout - maybe 7 inches long. I guess they do eat their own once they get bigger.
At Flathead lake, Montana-extensive research showed that large lakers eat a significant number of small lakers helping control their population, hence the slot of 30" to 36" lakers must be released, but in Colorado our Lake trout are much pickier eaters and our researchers say their diet is over 90% kokanee and Rainbows even though I have seen countless examples otherwise.

·
Registered
585 Posts
At Flathead lake, Montana-extensive research showed that large lakers eat a significant number of small lakers helping control their population, hence the slot of 30" to 36" lakers must be released, but in Colorado our Lake trout are much pickier eaters and our researchers say their diet is over 90% kokanee and Rainbows even though I have seen countless examples otherwise.
Your anger and pisstivity is growing by the day. Sarcasm is fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts