Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to wolford today with atownbasser and his friend , we fished from 8 to 3 , caught aton of trout and spawning kokes , i released all my fish , curtis and his friend kept aton of kokes , standard pink jig slip bobber setup , when we were going over berthoud pass we got a nice suprise by a big moose

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Nice. I couldn't buy a bite at Wolford on Wednesday. (well, two small 'bows), Nice moose pic, looks like winter's a'coming.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Way to nail 'em Anthony! I'll be headed up for the next few days to put a dent in the spawning population!

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
You did a lot better than us. Fished the point off the dam at 7am. Missed a couple kokes on the kasty, caught a bunch of smallish bows, couldnt buy a bite on those pink friggin' jigs.

Moved around 10 am to a diff spot and caught more smallish bows.

Went back to the dam around 5pm and fished till almost dark and caught a few smallish bows.

Not one of my best days-

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
You did a lot better than us. Fished the point off the dam at 7am. Missed a couple kokes on the kasty, caught a bunch of smallish bows, couldnt buy a bite on those pink friggin' jigs.

Moved around 10 am to a diff spot and caught more smallish bows.

Went back to the dam around 5pm and fished till almost dark and caught a few smallish bows.

Not one of my best days-
Deserves you right for not answering the phone last week so I could go. >:D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Went to Wolford Sunday and Monday. Ended uo catching about thirty Kokes and twenty Bows. Most fish were caught using slip rigs with waxies. Bite was best early mornings with the Salmon showing little interest after about 10:00 am. We could still see them but just would not hit. Day two I figured out a method with a pink Tasmanian devil tip with a waxie that the fish could not resist. After about an hour of that they quit hitting the Tas and everything altogether. I guess the fish become conditioned after a while of seeing the same thing over and over. We kept ten females (eggs) and let all others go. I think there is definately another week and maybe more for a strong run. Only one of the fish had here eggs packed away in her skeins. All others were dumping eggs all over the place when caught and especially cut open. The Tas worked well after I figured out how to not foul hook them and actually get them to hit in the mouth.

Side note, lots of snaggers in the spillway area. We watched them from the bridge throwing Kastmasters and jerking of the rod. From our vantage point we could see the fish being reeled in sideways,backwards, upside down, and etc. We than watched the group of people put every fish on a stringer. Dad and I called Operation Game Theif which were busy with hunters. These guys, gals, and kids I'm sure got away with their crime and will definately do it again.

Thanks for the heads up Anthony! We checked out Williams Fork for a minute and saw no action. We went and checked the pump canal and again had zero action. Water was not pumping so I'm sure that was the reason for no fish around.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good job man , i knew u would nail um , i hear u on the spoon snaggers , i see them there everytime , its not that hard to catch kokanee , if u go there use a pink jig and slip bobber and tip the jig with a mealie or waxworm , i dont have a problem with snaggers just do it were its legal , plus its way better to catch them then snag um in my opinion

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Im kinda ambivalent about the snagging there. I mean the kokes are gonna die anyway. Technically they should not be doing it, but ----

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Im kinda ambivalent about the snagging there. I mean the kokes are gonna die anyway. Technically they should not be doing it, but ---- its not legal, a future egg taking area, may be some natural spawn, the carcasses add nutrients to the water, lowest form of almost fishing, they are very catchable with jigs and they bite and were all gonna die. need any more reasons?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hit Wolford hard on Sunday with very little respect from the fishing gods. Williams Fork had the same results. Maybe I need a lesson - Where and with what does a newbe catch the Kokanne in Wolford????

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
3Bone said:
I hit Wolford hard on Sunday with very little respect from the fishing gods. Williams Fork had the same results. Maybe I need a lesson - Where and with what does a newbe catch the Kokanne in Wolford????
try 1/16 ounce white or pink tube jigs tipped with wax worms under a slip bobber or float off the dam, and you will get more bites with lighter line.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
redleader said:
SLAYERFISH said:
Im kinda ambivalent about the snagging there. I mean the kokes are gonna die anyway. Technically they should not be doing it, but ---- its not legal, a future egg taking area, may be some natural spawn, the carcasses add nutrients to the water, lowest form of almost fishing, they are very catchable with jigs and they bite and were all gonna die. need any more reasons?
Whatever-

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
redleader said:
SLAYERFISH said:
Whatever-
one of your most intelligent responses? :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts