Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like in all but Wyoming, federal protection will end for wolves! Management will be turned over to the states where it rightly belongs.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
yeah how dare they next thing you know theyll want to protect moose and eagles and have clean air and water . those dam wackos

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It ain't the liberal wackjobs in the Humane Society of the US, Fund For Animals, or PETA protecting the moose, eagles, air, and water. It's largely hunters and fishermen through the Pittman-Roberts Act.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I'm sure glad Off Topic exists. It sure lets one sort the wheat from the chaff.

Man, there's a lot of chaff. :eek:

I guess for a few of you, reasonable people cannot disagree with you on any important subject or they are per se "wackos". How very sad for you.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I'm sure glad Off Topic exists. It sure lets one sort the wheat from the chaff.

Man, there's a lot of chaff. :eek:

I guess for a few of you, reasonable people cannot disagree with you on any important subject or they are per se "wackos". How very sad for you.
From the slinger of "Right WingNut." Classic!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
littlemac said:
yeah how dare they next thing you know theyll want to protect moose and eagles and have clean air and water . those dam wackos
AHHH yes, lets work on the clean water issue. No more boats pumping gas and oil in our lakes and for the bank beaters that just pitch their litter everywhere, no more of them either...

Have fun in Boulder!!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
dang you guys, i swear if it was up to you wed all be fishing in cesspools.crankin do you have something against clean water and air. please do tell and be honest with us, that means no bullsh'''t how protecting the wolves has bothered you over the years.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
littlemac said:
dang you guys, i swear if it was up to you wed all be fishing in cesspools.crankin do you have something against clean water and air. please do tell and be honest with us, that means no bullsh'''t how protecting the wolves has bothered you over the years.
Are you for protecting elk and deer? Or the livestock of ranchers?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
if you look at the statistics the wolf has not done enough damage to either to warrant elimination.in fact regarding deer and elk they have actually been a benefit by taking down the sick and weak animals. and as far as ranchers most of there livestock is affected much more by coyotes.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
littlemac said:
if you look at the statistics the wolf has not done enough damage to either to warrant elimination.in fact regarding deer and elk they have actually been a benefit by taking down the sick and weak animals. and as far as ranchers most of there livestock is affected much more by coyotes.
The wolves don't warrant elimination, but they warrant hunting to manage them. If you think wolves are helping the big game herds, you're very, very wrong, littlemac. The elk herds around Yellowstone have been decimated to the point that Montana is severely restricting elk tags where the wolves are killing off the elk. In northern Idaho, outfitters are going out of business left and right due to the elimination of the elk herds. Where are you pulling your flawed statistics from?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Bootsy collins said:
sswan said:
littlemac said:
Translation: as white christian men, it's our duty provided by God to alter the landscape and environment as we see fit per the will of God. anything otherwise is deemed heretic and satanic, therefore must be purged from the earth.
You're ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bootsy collins said:
sswan said:
littlemac said:
Translation: as white christian men, it's our duty provided by God to alter the landscape and environment as we see fit per the will of God. anything otherwise is deemed heretic and satanic, therefore must be purged from the earth.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the plot thickins!! ::)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Bootsy collins said:
wolves were here before ranchers and livestock, sswan.
Talk about hypocrisy. You'd better level your house and restore the land to it's natural habitat. Cuz, well ya know, the prairies were here before us, and all the animals that lived there.

W

·
0 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this. The elk that were over run in Yellowstone were the dumbest elk ever, these are many of the elk that were probaly killed by wolves. They forgot what it was like to live around a top-flight team of predators (grizzlies don't pose much of a problem to most healthy elk).

Maybe elk are harder to find because they're becoming smarter and more "elk-like"; last I knew I couldn't just take a drive and see a bunch of elk, not in the "real world" forest.

At the same time I am well aware of ranchers in WY taking advantage of killing wolves that are "attacking their livestock." I feel their pain, but I'm sure numerous wolves were killed on site, regardless of what they were doing.

I have no problem with the Federal Govt. running the wolf program. Trust me, I'm from Wyoming, and I know what can happen when you let a bunch of farmers write laws.

My dad is a savvy retired agriculturaly extension agent and he is decidedly against most of my views on this matter.

Like anything else, I guess it depends who you talk to as there are strong opinions and data on both sides.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Capt: I agree those elk were probably not on the "savy" side of being predation aware. But even the herds outside, way outside of the park have been hard hit. And that is not even talking about the moose numbers.

It surprises me that either side is really upset with this change. Management was turned over to the state, not annihilation. Through "management" elk numbers have attained heights never seen before, management of wildlife works, and works well. If the wolves are left unchecked, the elk/moose poulations will tumble taking the wolves with them. Both Montana and Idaho are planning big-game wolf tags for the coming season, these are big money makers. It is in their best interest to have plenty of wolves to hunt next year and the year after. Likewise it gives the states a tool to create a balance on both the undulates and the predators keeping everybody's interest in mind.

But, none of that includes abortion, obama, christianity, or rightwing/leftwing so why would anybody bother thinking about it. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts