Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, guys, guys...

I am dating a man I have known half of my life. He has never known me to like fishing - much less ice fishing - but I am up for the challenge! I pose a few questions to you out there!

1. How can I best prepare myself for the adventure. I want him to feel like I WANT to go - which I do - and that I am not a woos!

2. How can I make the experience better? I am a traditional kind of gal so, keep it clean! But, what do y'all eat or drink out there so I can surprise him by being prepared?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Cold beer or good scotch, unless he's a teetotaler, tehn some hot chocolate or coffee is always nice. Pack a hot meal (ham and cheese biscuits is my fav, I'm southern). Coolers work as warmers too, if you put something to keep stuff warm in with it.
Dress warm and stay warm, maybe even bring a book or something just in case, but please, please, please don't whine about teh cold, the fishing, the weather, the company, etc. Just relax and enjoy it.

D

·
0 Posts
The best thing you can do is dress properly so that you're not cold - good pac boots, snowmobile suit or similar, layer fleece or other good insulating clothing, warm mittens or gloves, warm hat and something to cover your ears.

If you truly are not cold, then you don't have to spend the day pretending that you're not cold and it will be enjoyable for both of you.

As for food and drink - hot coffee or hot chocolate, sandwiches that you can eat even after they freeze (and they may) like cheese or thinly sliced ham or turkey.

And finally ---- let him fish!  I once took a "lady friend" who wanted to ....um.........in the ice hut.  Now I'm a red-blooded American guy, but, geez, not when you're over big fish!!!  LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don In Denver said:
And finally ---- let him fish! I once took a "lady friend" who wanted to ....um.........in the ice hut. Now I'm a red-blooded American guy, but, geez, not when you're over big fish!!! LOL
too funny! Good one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VolFan said:
but please, please, please don't whine about teh cold, the fishing, the weather, the company, etc. Just relax and enjoy it.
OMG! We went last weekend at the break of dawn! I was positively HYPOTHERMIC and it was supposed to be "a warm day"... I just wanted to curl up and sleep. I tried to keep a smile and not say I was cold... but I couldn't talk!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Too funny Don...

Fishcharmer, My own observations... If he is smart he will take you somewhere that has fast action the first couple times.

Bait your own hook, you don't want his goobers on your bait, and you just might catch more fish than him because of it.

Don't use hand lotion that day even though your hands might get really dry- fish don't like the smell. Don't tell anyone,,, If you catch a fish rub the lure on its skin to get some fish slime on it - its good luck if nothing else.

Let him know you intend on coming home with all three prize categories, the first fish, the most fish, and the biggest fish.

E

·
0 Posts
I like ice fishing with one exception...

FINDING A PLACE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!!

D

·
0 Posts
Evergreen Girl said:

Ice hut - 5 gallon bucket - trash bag for liner. :eek:

Another ice fishing secret revealed!!! ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Evergreen Girl said:

This is my wife's frustration, but she never complains... Just has to go on some long nature walks now and then. If you have a shelter, you can just take a portable toilet. Not glamorous, but no better way to get a little privacy.

My wife wanted to go fishing with me and make it a good experience the first time she went. My recommendation to her was to bring more warm clothing than she thought she would need for the temps, because when you sit still, you can get cold easily. Feet are important to keep warm, but especially your hands. Your hands will touch water and be exposed when you tie knots and do various other things - so you need a warm place to put them when they get cold, if he doesn't provide something. Don't give yourself a reason to feel uncomfortable or complain, and you won't have to struggle with that issue.

I basically second what others have said:

Bait your own hook.

Tie your own lures/hooks on the line (if you haven't before, you should research that a little, search for "fishing knots" online and you'll find some).

Also, you will really have to set the hook. For me, there was nothing more frustrating than watching my wife just start reeling fish in when she felt them bite. You really do need to give the fishing rod a good solid jerk upward to pull the point of the hook into the fishe's jaw. He most likely would want you to enjoy the experience, too, and he might fear you won't like it, if you can't land any fish. I was afraid my wife wouldn't fish again after her first trip, because she lost lots of fish by failing to set the hook. I was happy to stayed with it and learned to set the hook - now she outfishes me, sometimes.

What else????

Oh, handle your own fish.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the most important thing is to have fun. when ever i take someone new out fishing regardless of the relationship i dont mind tieing knot baiting hooks whatever as long as they are enjoying themselves its all worth it to see the smile when the fish omes thru the ice

have fun and welcome to the club

D

·
0 Posts
I'm with you, roadkill. I always try to go someplace where I hope to get into lots of fish, maybe go a little later in the day when it might be warmer, figure I'm going to be tying the knots, baiting the hooks, etc.

I just want them to have fun and love it as much as I do!

·
Registered
67 Posts
1) Take a small towel to dry your hands and get them back into your gloves sooner.

2) Go for hot chocolate over coffee. You want to fish, not spend your time dealing with an overloaded bladder.

3) Get good boots like Sorels that have a few inches of rubber up the side. They are great for shoveling show too. The party is over if your feet get wet.

4) I always take an extra pair of socks in a ziplock "just in case". Sometimes at the end of a warm day you may find you have to wade in those last few feet to get back to the shore. You might as well have dry feet going home.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Gloves and Handwarmers are good. Neck warmer and a good stocking cap keep your heat in. Sunglasses and sunscreen are also wise. Ice cleats are great cause that ice gets pretty slick.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Don't tell anyone,,, If you catch a fish rub the lure on its skin to get some fish slime on it - its good luck if nothing else.

This is why she always out fishes us guys!!!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
my girl just requires a warm shelter, a good heater,room for the dog,4 wheeler (for those long trips to the bathroom),she also now requires a vexilar,and various other ice fishing gear that is usually better than mine. but as you can see by the photos on this site from her that she will also regularly outfish me. but if i'm gonna be outfished i would rather it be by her(makes her want to keep going).

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
CG

OMG! We went last weekend at the break of dawn! I was positively HYPOTHERMIC and it was supposed to be "a warm day"... I just wanted to curl up and sleep. I tried to keep a smile and not say I was cold... but I couldn't talk!
First off not all bodies generate heat at the same clip or have the same mental attitude towards cold (mind over matter)...how many of you couples reading out there that the husband while sleeping in bed his body heater runs at 1200 degree fahrenheit meanwhile his significant other is cool/cold/or freezing...not always the case but quite often...so I dont think you need to apologize for being cold...go with to pick up a portable propane heater (find him an old Coleman Focus 5 on Ebay and he will love you for life!) to heat the portable shanty if you have a shanty...if you dont suggest buying one if you have the funds...go with to pick it out...he would appreciate the buy in...

Personally anyone new to fishing that I take (male or female) I do not expect to know how to tie knots, take off fish, bait hooks, set up rigs, proper depth...etc...on and on...ask questions...if I was dating a gal who wanted to learn I would cut her some slack in the winter months (make it more of a guided trip when simple things are much tougher)...she can learn to tie knots, take off fish, bait hooks when the weather is warm and apply it next winter...chivalry shouldnt totally die just because you should bait your own hook...it might take me seconds and somebody new much longer...if you are eager to learn and be attentive to what is going on a few simple items such as tieing knots and baiting hooks is the least he can do for you...sorry this guy is old fashioned...I wouldnt want you to become overwhelmed and disillusioned either...both parties should try and meet each other somewhere towards each others level of expertise...and over time your knowledge and expertise will grow if it is something you enjoy...

And as everyone advised...dress warm...it is easier to take off clothing than put on...

Most of all laugh and have fun...

·
Registered
765 Posts
These are all great tips. The most important part it sounds like you already have mastered: The desire to be there. Desire can warm the coldest of extremities. Want to have some fun? When the fishing is slow, like that would ever happen, hit him with a snowball when he is not expecting. When you are catching fish and he isn't, get one off your hook and drop it down his hole. Tell him that he is now on top of fish and has no excuses. This shouldn't make him mad. It should indicate to him that you are having a blast. I don't know what your relationship is like but, if you feel appropriate, when he is off a short ways relieving himself, start yelling and screaming that his rod is going down the hole. See if he wets himself trying to get back. Seriously, I do always take a COMPLETE change of clothes with me and hope that I do not need them. It is certainly best to be over prepared. Don't allow yourself to get sweaty. That can happen while walking or drilling. You don't want any moist feeling clothes when you sit down on that bucket and the wind begins to blow.

Welcome to the site and I am glad to hear that you have real interest in joining him/us out there. Now if I could only get my wife to do the same. It has to start with desire! She doesn't have any ???

·
Registered
117 Posts
my only advice is listen to your man. learn to fish from him. ask him questions and keep him engaged. Allow him to fully tell his story, and periodically ask him questions to make sure he has your attention. if he's anything like me, i get frustrated when she loses interest. thats my 2cents, but weve been married 8 yrs now for what thats worth.
ps she chooses not to fish

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pikester, you're killing me- "see if he wets himself" LMAO!!! That is hilarious ;D Zman; I concure! One other point that hasn't been brought up is possibly learn from someone else... it may be easier to learn how to do some things without the pressure of being "perfect" on the first trip. I know my wife learns better without me nagging her to do it "my way." Just another thought to ponder. Looney

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
when he is off a short ways relieving himself, start yelling and screaming that his rod is going down the hole.
<zEncore Lighter> bwahaahaahahahahahahhaaa...

I always just went with the shriek of "YOUR FISHING ROD!"...when they turn calmly utter...its doing nothing...but I like adding the peeing aspect...I have someone that will work perfectly on...

If you are in a shed...and his head is turned...slapping your rod tip in the hole vigorously will sound like a fish coming up...works very effectively...works better with a long rod and summer fishing when it is slow though...but still causes a sudden head turn...

I am still surprised at the "dont come a knocking if this shed is a rocking" post...hope it was hard sided...not one of those thin pop ups...my mom always referred to that as "deep sea fishing"...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts