Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56&products_id=362&osCsid=vai75h1uua5mlihvqam4mki30akc7s4l

I've bought flys from their catologs for the past 3 years, and they seem to be a good company..

They also have a killer catalog (with all their trips)

Anyway, what really sells me on this rod, is that it comes with an extra tip. Aside from that, they say that they don't care how you break it, if something happens. You send them the rod, and for under $25, they fix or send a whole new rod...

Anyway . . . was just hoping for opinions (other thasn this, I'm looking at getting a St. Croix Avid)

I'm really digging that this whole set-up is about the same price as I was going to spend on the Avid rod alone. If I get this, I still have the set-up I'm using now (The butt end of an Albright 5 weight, and the other 4 pieces of an Albright 4 weight :D)

I'm wanting the 4 weight in this..

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56&products_id=362&osCsid=vai75h1uua5mlihvqam4mki30akc7s4l

Thanks for checking it out for me

James

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cast several of their fly rods last June and the one’s I tried out were very good rods. Their reels are also very good. I just purchased a reel from them for my son at Christmas. Good drag systems on hte reels.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
James said:
I'm looking at getting a St. Croix Avid...
I have a St. Croix Avid 6wt 9' 4pc and I don't like it very much. Before you buy one, cast mine and see if you like it. You probably will, which is a reflection of my meager casting abilities.

I like Silent_Light's 5wt 9' Wright & McGill Essentials and hummus cannonball's 5wt 10' Grey's Streamflex a lot better. Both of those rods fit my casting lack of abilities much better.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sswan, I'm getting better, but would still put money down that I'm the worst fly caster on this site.. :D

Thanks dennisokey, and & 720

I appreciate the input (we may not be getting as much in taxes as we thought, but I'll still be getting a new set-up by summer)

thanks!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Sorry James I don't know on the Fly shop Rod, but if you haven't used an avid yet, try one for a day before you buy one. I had a 4pc 9' 5wt avid, casted fine, but I lost a lot of fish with that rod, it just didn't set hooks well. Likewise, I have a 8' 2pc 4wt avid and I love that rod, great dry fly rig.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have done business with the fly shop in the past and their return policy is great but read the policy first. They are VERY specific about rod returns and reels.

Bob

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've been friends with TFS sense 4 the fourth grade. That being said I am quite bias mat be?
Any way they are good guys. I beige that's it' $30 to replace there TFS rods. Next I really can't remember if they are Jason burger:) rods or echo but it was one of the two. That might help with your research, heck give them a call and ask
-- Jason I'm sorry for your bad experience PM me and I MIGHT be able to help

·
Registered
342 Posts
My rod is a 5 wt. from TFS and I've been happy with it overall. It's my first fly rod, I'm no expert, and I can cast it fairly well. I've tried casting others that I like the action of better but mine is 1/4 the price, for the entire outfit.

I had a very good experience with an exchange of my TFS large arbor reel. They replaced my damaged spool and reloaded my backing and line for no cost other than shipping.

The TFS rods come with 2 tip sections. I broke one of mine pushing ice out of the tip guide last winter. I haven't sent this back in yet but am planning too and will report any good or bad results.

Non-required but funny reading about why I had to have the spool replaced. I was fishing on the Blue River in winter and the round rocks and ice made the walking and wading lots of fun, or the usual fun. I slipped like a cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. My feet and body parallel to the ground about 5 ft. up and I threw my arms out for balance (not much good when you're flat out already) and threw my rod at least 10 ft. above my prone body. After that brief mid-air pause gravity took over and I slammed onto the rocks. It seemed like seconds later my rod slammed down. The rod actually landed right on the spool of my reel. After realizing I didn't bust anything on my body I got up and dusted myself off. Of course I sheepishly looked around to make sure there were no witnesses. I made my way to the spot I wanted to fish and gave it a shot. When I had to reel in some line I realized my reel wouldn't turn. I thought it was ice, though I've never had my reel freeze. I started to look at the reel and saw that I had badly bent the spool. The price of a spare spool was cheap and I had purchsed one and had it loaded with sinking line when I bought the outfit. So I put that on and used it the rest of the day and a couple of other trips while I had my regular spool and floating line fixed.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
muskie hunter said:
trout4steak said:
James said:
sswan, I'm getting better, but would still put money down that I'm the worst fly caster on this site.. :D
Nnnnnope! .... :-[
i dont know ya might want to see james cast. :D
Ha ha ha... when's the last time we've been flyfishing.. How many times have you out ice-fished me.. >:D

Thanks again for all the replies, I really appreciate them (well, except for max's :-\ :D)

·
Registered
193 Posts
James said:
muskie hunter said:
trout4steak said:
James said:
Nnnnnope! .... :-[
i dont know ya might want to see james cast. :D
Ha ha ha... when's the last time we've been flyfishing.. How many times have you out ice-fished me.. >:D

Thanks again for all the replies, I really appreciate them (well, except for max's :-\ :D)

its been a little while but still you said it your self ;D and i out ice fish ya alot to haha. but think about that rod deal i told ya about in the pm and i will see what i can do about that book

1 - 14 of 14 Posts