Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Antero on Friday. Went straight to my favorite hole beneath the hill of death in about 8.5 FOW. Drilled 2 holes and caught 5
fish in about 20 minutes. It was pretty darn busy, but out of the 5, only one fish was decent and he was about 17". Put the shelter up and started catching again pretty quickly. I hooked into probably the biggest fish I've had on this year-I had it on for at least 3 or so minutes but never got her close enough to even see her. She was taking drag and raising hell. Finally the hook just pulled out and that was it. I wish I could have seen it!! ;D The fish continued to bite and I took another fish that was 17" or so, then at 12:30 I got a 21 and 1/4 inch rainbow that weighed 3lb 6 oz. She put up a real good fight but I got this one in...... Pix are attached. As you can see, the fish is unusually dark. I guess it was a regular rainbow, but I'm not sure. Had a great day and I'm looking forward to hitting Antero as often as I can until the ice thins. Right now it's about 22 inches counting the snow on top as well. All in all I got 15 fish-not a bad day for me.

:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
This was caught out of Antero yesterday on a pink tube jig. 27" and almost 8lbs. The poster MakoMyDay on the other Colorado fishing forum caught it. I would love to get one of these hogs....just once.

Fillets that it produced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man-what a whopper!! Makes we wish even more that I could have seen that fish that threw my jig the other day. Way to go!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last I was there a couple weekends ago we spotted a couple of those dark rainbows. Very cool to see the variety of colors and sizes that come out of that water.
You never know what may roll up ino your view as your eyes wander around a 10" hole. I swear that I've got the world record for not blinking while I'm hovering over a hole there.

C

·
0 Posts
nice fish! strange thing is, the silver ones taste better than the colorful ones

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
niteskies said:
clint walker said:
nice fish! strange thing is, the silver ones taste better than the colorful ones
I'd agree with that. The silver ones often have a deeper pink color meat.
Not a fan of eating the trout...that is why they swim another day to be caught again when I catch them...would still love to catch that bad boy!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I like eating trout--Not ones that taste like the weeds they forage in, though. There's no culinary comparison between trout out of Blue Mesa and trout out of Antero.

·
Registered
66 Posts
sswan said:
I like eating trout--Not ones that taste like the weeds they forage in, though. There's no culinary comparison between trout out of Blue Mesa and trout out of Antero.

I'm assuming Antero is the reservoir you are saying where the trout are not that good to eat? Not in my opinion, I've kept many trout from Antero and they have all been great. Nice red meat and great taste.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts