Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever witnessed or seen a bad case of poaching?

Personally - a couple years back, I saw a guy who had a stringer (he was using a long stick) with at least 10 LMB ranging from 6-10inches. He was fishing with a spool of line, no pole, and using live night crawlers. This was at a pond less than 1 acre. It was pretty disheartening to see. I tried to explain the regulations at that pond, however he did not speak English. I called the DOW, but he was long gone by then. :mad:

·
Registered
427 Posts
A few years back, the crappie population of a lake I frequent was almost entirely wiped out. People were literally filling 5 gallon buckets with them, taking those fish home, then coming back and repeating the process. Just now is the crappie population recovering. Seems like people are at least less likely to regularly keep limits or above after going years without catching any decent quantity of them.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i saw some people at antero in the winter out fishing in a big group and they kept having their chick going back and forth from the ice shelters to their cars in the parking lot....one time the lady fell down walking past where i was fishing, i got out of my shelter to help and noticed that she had dropped 6 big trout on the ice....every trip they made back and forth was to transport and hide fish in the car. pretty damn lame sportsman if you ask me...oh and there was the 2 russian guys that were fishing at south delaney this year with sucker meat.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm sure sneaking on private property to fish some exclusive ponds that have never been fished before would be concidered poaching! I practice both catch and release, with mainly release! As far as the ponds go I will not comment on those ponds nestled away in the midwest!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Worst I have personally witnessed?

Up in FoCo, about ten years back, there was a small +/- 5ac pond I used to get BIG bass from consistently on frogs and jigs. It was a real PITA to get to, marshy, skeeters all over, stickers, horseflys...

I went back in there one day and a brigade of (citizens?) was out in force with 5gal buckets, handlines, and bluegills. They each had a big bucket full of medium to trophy sized bass. About 10 buckets, TOTALLY full of big bass. I about puked. I was shaking.

That pond has just never been the same. I saw a pond destroyed in an afternoon.

I called OGT and they never got there... bass were all dead anyway...

SS

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
saw a guy with a stringer of about (im not exaggerating) 20 brown trout that looked to be 11"-13" he pulled out of the arkansas in a section where the bag limit is one over 16". i mentioned the rules and he laughed. i should have pushed him in....it was when the runoff was at its peak.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Probably John McEnroe when he played with Peter Fleming back in the 70's. He carried that team to many wins and championships. Fleming rode his coat tails to all of those victories.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
FPF said:
saw a guy with a stringer of about (im not exaggerating) 20 brown trout that looked to be 11"-13" he pulled out of the arkansas in a section where the bag limit is one over 16". i mentioned the rules and he laughed. i should have pushed him in....it was when the runoff was at its peak.
I have been ready to throw down on a few occasions... probably good thing it never came to it. I am sure I would be killed. But I did confront a gang of young men out at a local C&R bass pond that I will not name. They had a stringer with several nice bass that would be legal most places, but not there. They knew it too, because the stringer was hidden in some bushes. I am not too bad at spotting fish, and I saw the movement of fins in some shallow water. Then I saw a bright yellow piece of nylon rope heading off into the bushes... I walked over, cut the rope, and started releasing the bass. They all started pitching a fit, and threatening me. I walked up to the biggest kid, and told him that if he took those fish, he would pay for it with his ass. I gave him the choice.

I was scared as hell, but they backed down, because I think they knew I was for real, and they didn't want those bass that bad... :mad:

I have called Op. Game Thief many times, and have yet to see them show up at a spot. I think they are just spread too thin...

SS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Who in their right mind would keep a large or small mouth bass to begin with. Everyone has to agree they are not tasty by any means. Not even with hot sauce.

·
Registered
444 Posts
fished by the high parking lot on the DS below the dam. watched a guy hook and land 3 gorgeous fish. after he released his first one i stopped paying attention to what ever it was he was doing but he kept walking back to his truck (to re-rig i would assume?). after his fourth fish i finally caught him red handed and told him the DS was C&R only. he told me that a few fish wouldent make any differance. i called the CO and they just so happened to have one collecting fees at the iron ranger. he came down and we started chatting, some how to guy never saw the Stae Park Police sticker on the side of the truck. anyway this fisherman came up and the cop made him show him the cooler where he found 6 very large trout in his truck. in passing i said "told ya so" which i probably shouldent have said. the cop told me later he was charged for each fish.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm with sswan- spinney most disappointing. Seems like more bait fisherman every year there ( I'm not against bait where it's legal). Under-size & multiple trout being kept as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
FPF said:
I'm positive I would have lost my composer when some one laughs at me for informing them of the law that they are breaking which ruins what I like to do with most of my free time!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
And everyone knows if you lose your composer you cant finish your score...all the music left undone...yikeZ!...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Witnessed some out of state fisherman at a special regulations lake stringering up fish on bait. What really ticked me of is they were parked right in front of the regulations sign. I am sure they read it many times while they pondered how the air had gone out of several tires.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
saw a guy last year at bear creek lake with a stringer of about ten trout, when i told them at the gate they didnt seem to care much. i use to fish with a cf fisherman that use to bend the rules quite abit.somebody alot of people know and may be surprised but ill keep the idenity a secrete. but i saw the person keep undersize fish and a few more than was allowed several times. believe it or not i think we all bend the rules at one time or another.i know i am quilty as much as the next person. while this may not seem like poaching per say, its still in violation .the best thing to do is inform the person, they may not know the regs. and if that doesnt work try to get a ranger involved.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
years ago a friend of mine who's father was an orvis guide, told me he didn't buy a licence because if he got caught the fine was $68 and he had been fishing without one for6 years so he was ahead of the game. that was when i quit fly fishing

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Worst one I ever saw was two guys fishing at a small lake. There were signs everywhere that the bass had mercury contamination and must be returned to the water immediately. They were keeping all the bass they caught.

Some people you just can't reach.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts