Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recomendations on poles, reels, ... etc that wont break the bank for a beginner. I'd like to learn to fly fish but dont know what to look for. Any tips or recomendation would help. What would be a good colorado fly collection start (for trout)?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I often wonder whether you might find good quality stuff for a good price at the pawn shops. I Have never tried it, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think the most important part of flyfishing is the rod. Do not buy one of the cheapie models from wal mart. If you do not want to spend big buck for a new one, take your time and look for a used one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree the rod is the most important part than probably the line with the reel being the least important. I fish a reddington red start I like this rod for the fact if you break it they replace it no questions asked. I'd suggest a 5/6 wt rod which should cover most of the types of fish you/'d fish for in colorado. Don't over look ebay you might just find a deal or two on there or a buy back sports place both would be a great place to start your shopping.....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats a tough one, there are a million options out there as far as gear to choose from.  As stated, a beginner setup in  5 or 6 weight from any of the big rod manufacturers will work--- i know Redington, Scott, Sage and a few others make combo setups for around 200 dollars or so.  I know Cabelas also makes a handful of combo setups, you might want to take a look at those.  

Another thing to consider is what type of fishing do you like to do now? this might give us a better idea of the direction we should point you as far a gear.  how much can you afford to spend?  and also, how much do you fish now?

Another option, (and least expensive, although not always possible) is to find someone whom you know that fly fishes, and tag along with him on a trip.  At a minium, at least get him/her to show you the basics of casting and all the other basic stuff to go with it. You could do this at any fly shop, most guys i know that work shops would be glad to do this for you.  Fly fishing can be a bit more technical than other types of "conventional" fishing and can take awhile to get a grasp of---and without proper instruction it can be downright frustrating at times. The equipment tends to be more expensive and requires time to learn how to use it properly, not to mention the other skills you will need to pick up in order to make it all work for you.  Knots, fly selection, reading water, and different types of casts are all things you will have to eventually learn as you progress.  what im getting at is i would hate for you to go out and drop several hundred dollars on gear and find out that you dont really like it all that much.  My advice is go out, visit some shops, read a few books, talk to a few people and get your hands on a few rods and cast them before you commit yourself to something that might not be right for you.  There is a HUGE amount of information out there on getting started in flyfishing, tap into a few sources before you decide on anything. This is the advice i have given scores of people that used to come into the shop i worked at, and i think its fairly sound.

and if you do decide you like it and want to get started look out---its addictive as heck  lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I have lived in colorado springs my whole life and fished my whole life. My grandfather taught me to fish using the old bobber and salmon eggs for trout. Along the way i learned other techniques but always stayed with the spinning or bait casting setup. I have just recently started using the bubble and fly but i have always wanted to move up to the next step and fly fish. I'll digest all this info and see what happens. As far as the targeted fish, i like to catch all of them, i am not particular, but i will probably first start catching trout.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another option is outfitters used equipment. Alot of local shops and outfitters demo and rent gear. They are always upgrading and selling their old stuff. Its a good way to get ahold of a named rod with the lifetime warranty. I also think that the reel is just as important as the rod, buy your rod first, and balance it with the appropriate reel. Theres nothing sweeter than casting a balanced setup! As a side note- I learned to flyfish on a walmart uglystick 50$ combo. I know the price tag to flyfishing can be overwhelming when you get started, so why not go cheap and see if its even something you wish to pursue. Just my two sense!

T

·
0 Posts
st peters fly shop in ft collins is having a tackle, gear, equipment swap of fly fishing stuff this weekend. prolly some good stuff to be had.

www.stpetes.com

·
Registered
380 Posts
Visit a flyshop they will really help you out. One imparticular that is very very good with beginers is St. Vrain Angler in Longmont. They may cost a bit more but they will really help you out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts