Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think that If a bunch of people approached the DOW with a petition or proposal to create a pike fishery or two in the Fort Collins, Loveland area they'd be open to it?

I know that if they were to introduce pike to a lake/ pond it would screw up the ecosystem for a time but I'd guess it would equalize after a while.

In MN, Where I'm from, Pike share the water with LMB, Crappie, Bluegill, carp, perch, etc etc, and have in most lakes in the state for tens of thousands of years. I don't think it takes that long to create a balanced ecosystem but it is definately possible.

Anyway...I'm interested in opinions.

I know some think that the CO DOW has a bad attitude towards pike. Perhaps theyd be concerned that pike would be illegaly transfered to waters where they could reproduce.

I know there's pike in some of the private lakes in FTC. Let me at them!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd love to have more pike waters up here (FC/Loveland). I'd also love to have more tiger muskie fisheries in Colorado that were successful. Above all though, I'd love to have some pure muskie fisheries. Being a trout state I don't know if the DOW will ever be open to a whole lot of these ideas. But the resounding answer I get when I ask them about anything is that they work for us. So I'd think getting a large group of people desiring these types of fish would have some effect.

My opinion: there are plenty of bodies of water in this state that have trout in it. Let's designate some others for these species.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i wouldn't hold your breath! you have a better chance of finding a thrown away winning lottery ticket. then building your own private lake to stock with pike and they probably would forbid you to do that too

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
roadkill said:
i wouldn't hold your breath! you have a better chance of finding a thrown away winning lottery ticket. then building your own private lake to stock with pike and they probably would forbid you to do that too
concur. we had 100 or so anglers at the last roundtable in GJ bitching at them about their destruction of fisheries, but that didn't matter. They claim they work for us, but they really don't. They just try to make it seem that way. Good luck. Hope it works out.

·
0 Posts
Does anybody know what the deal is with DOW and Pike. They used to stock them in all kinds of lakes in northern Colo. and I'm sure elsewhere in the state. The first one I ever caught was in a small lake just north of Greeley. A friend of mines father in law caught one about 30in long in Seeley lake just north of Greeley 2 or 3 years ago, so they are or were there. It would be nice if they would designate a lake or 2 just for the pike. Sure the Dow listens to us. Thats why we have a habitat stamp now.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just read the article posted by azbassnco here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060507/sc_space/nonnativefishinvadewesternstreams

10 Gauge said:
Does anybody know what the deal is with DOW and Pike. They used to stock them in all kinds of lakes in northern Colo. and I'm sure elsewhere in the state.
remember we used to spray DDT all over the place also past actions dont always indicate what is to come.

times are changing and sometimes it is not right to do something for our pleasure that may endanger native (although less interesting/fun) wildlife. every one we wipe out is gone for good. maybe that tiny little creek chub that goes extinct was the host of a parisite the excreated an enzyme the could cure/prevent alzheimer's or MS. i would sacrifice all recreational fishing to cure just 1 of those and many others

in refference to the DDT thing after many years of total ban and intensive recovery there are some limited uses of it where they have determined how to use it for the public good with out it building up in the enviroment so maybe many years down the road the fisheries people will recover much of the native wildlife and have the time to find ways to provide nonnative sportfish without contaminating the native wild life

it could be a very small price to pay

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think Jackson Resevoir would be perfect! Lots of carp and shad to feed them with! I have caught a couple of nice Pike at Bonny while walleye fishing before and they haven't hurt the other fish species there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It would be alot easier to get them to stock Tiger Musky before pike.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ePiC said:
It would be alot easier to get them to stock Tiger Musky before pike.
That's fine too...just stock more of them so they're not mysterious urban legends or phantoms but actual fish you can catch.

I think river smallies would be a great idea walleye970 but I think the poudre is too small and shallow for smallies, at least in FTC and upriver. I'm sure that you're right...they could possibly endanger other native species.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts