Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

would you be willing to take an elderly person fishing with you if given the chance to put a little

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• depends on the circumstances

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wondered if you all would take someone from an assisted living place fishing.

·
0 Posts
Hey everyone out there lets remember it could be one of us in one of these places,due to circumstances beyond our controll. I'd take somebody with me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you ten guage

truth is some of these people i am refering to are very mobile and very quick witted just arent allowed to drive anymore and i know of one that wrote the book on fly fishing for bass

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know I'd enjoy the education! I get to talk with a lot of older folks and I come away from it every time knowing a whole lot more about life than I ever thought would be possible! Count me in!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well we got one no lol must have been our elder statesman W.E lol JK

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe whe ought to sticky tis one just to see what kind of response we get and maybe work on setting up an outing. I volunteer at a place here in the springs and alot of the older gentleman in there would do anything to get to go fishing lol I know they ask me all the time if they can go with me.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ha Ha, well I'll take some old fart fishing if he'll take me next time.

Seriously, though, there may be some liability issues to be aware of. I had a social worker in Minnesota call me one day and ask me if I would take this old guy fishing and get him into a mess of crappies, he just missed his crappies more than anything in the world.

So I said sure, and took him out in the boat to a nice honey hole and got him his limit of big crappies. He was out of his mind.

Then as we were getting out of the boat, a leg gave way out from under him and he bounced off the dock and pitched headfirst into the water and I had a hell of a time fishing him out. He hurt his back and spent two weeks in the hospital just because nobody warned me that he would sometimes fall down due to a sudden weakness in his leg.

I felt pretty bad about it, but I'm still not sure I'd be competent to ask the right questions if the situation came up again.

I think if I took somebody out again, it would be nice, easy-access shore fishing until I got to know the person better. Not trying to throw any wet blanket on the idea, no indeed, just saying be aware of possible problems.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point and well said initially i think a shore outing is the way to go and it can be alot of fun and very educational aswell

·
Registered
83 Posts
there's a guy down here in pueblo that tried to start a group called Let's Go Fishing. volunteers would take groups of 6 elders on the lake on a pontoon owned by the organization on monday, wednesday, and friday. i volunteered for the wednesday trip. but the sad part is none of this ever happened because of poor organization and no funds. kinda sad. but to answer the question, i would take someone(or 6).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that and if you did you might have to fight them for the scantily clad ladies on your boat lol

M

·
0 Posts
azbassernco said:
I volunteer at a place here in the springs and alot of the older gentleman in there would do anything to get to go fishing
AZBasser - we talkin' "person" or "gentleman". Aside from W.E. and Jay's comments, I got issues.

When I get old enough, and if I have to be put in a retirement community as a single gentleman, my goals and aspirations are to flirt and harass every nurse there (what else is there to do?). I feel I'll be old enough and I'll have a right to. Been planning this since I was about 16 years old. If I get one chance to go out, then I'm takin' a woman of my age with me. That would mean at least two with a chaperon.

Yes, I'll take someone out - if it's a couple, I'd have to insist on a P.G. outing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come on members post up and give us some feedback

·
Registered
514 Posts
i would be down to take someone out. i have learned some of the best tricks from old fishermen. stuff you just dont find in books or videos.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Depends on circumstances and shape of the person. If they can get around on their own with a wheelchair or walk sure thing. I'm in my 30's but not in great physical shape (bad back that needs surgery) to help someone with walking. I know one day I will be that old person and will need assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts