• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, if this isn't permitted please let me know. We just started a new fishing kayak rental business next to Spinney Mountain Reservoir in Lake George, CO. Our web site has been up for a couple weeks but no reservations yet. I am wondering if you can give me some feedback as a fishing community member. Is renting a fishing kayak (Hobie Pro Angler, or a Fish Cat) something you'd consider? If so, what is your max price you'd be willing to pay for a half or full day rental?

We thought this would be a great void to fill. After assessing google ad analytics, I can tell many are searching for kayaks, but maybe in reality it's for the cheaper recreational kayaks, or maybe river kayaks; perhaps not fishing kayaks. If you have any feedback on our site please let me know. I greatly appreciate your time. Spinney and Eleven Mile | High Elevation Kayak Rentals | United States

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, because my brother has a boat and I have a kayak, and a pontoon floaty fly fishing thing. However, if the price was right, I would rent one to see how well I liked it, if I were in the market for one. Maybe you can also become a dealer, if a person rents one and decides to buy one from you, deduct the rental price off of the purchase. The cost? I don't know, one can rent a quality mountain bike for less than a hundred bucks a day. Lift tickets are over $200 a day.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
It would depend on the cost, I mean, like Peco says, mountain bikes and lift tix go for what I would say is a premium. Personally, I wouldn't rent any watercraft for more than $50 per day, which means I don't rent anything in Colorado, they're all far more than that. Have you thought about a multi-day deal or something like the combination ski lift tickets that are good for so many days at a discounted rate per day vs full price per day?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
People lease vehicles and spend a lot of money but they are a necessary. People rent housing, again necessary. A kayak isn't. Maybe a newbie to fishing or a person tired of shore fishing. Float tubes are mire popular I think.
:)

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, because my brother has a boat and I have a kayak, and a pontoon floaty fly fishing thing. However, if the price was right, I would rent one to see how well I liked it, if I were in the market for one. Maybe you can also become a dealer, if a person rents one and decides to buy one from you, deduct the rental price off of the purchase. The cost? I don't know, one can rent a quality mountain bike for less than a hundred bucks a day. Lift tickets are over $200 a day.
Thanks PECO I appreciate your feedback! I saw there was a dealer who does give the rental credit to a purchase. Being a dealer with a storefront does sound like fun.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would depend on the cost, I mean, like Peco says, mountain bikes and lift tix go for what I would say is a premium. Personally, I wouldn't rent any watercraft for more than $50 per day, which means I don't rent anything in Colorado, they're all far more than that. Have you thought about a multi-day deal or something like the combination ski lift tickets that are good for so many days at a discounted rate per day vs full price per day?
Thanks for your feedback Koldcut. Multi-day deal sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Depends on the price. got me a Top Water Old Town Angler. I don't use it as much as i should so maybe renting is cheaper then spending $2,000 on something I don't use.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just a question? Would there be more of a liability issue renting a Kayak, as opposed to a boat or even a canoe? (just on stability?). The lakes you mentioned are unpredictable, windy, and actually quite brutal at times. Seems a risky venture to put people in those types of vessels, not knowing their abilities, along with the quickly changing weather out there.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just a question? Would there be more of a liability issue renting a Kayak, as opposed to a boat or even a canoe? (just on stability?). The lakes you mentioned are unpredictable, windy, and actually quite brutal at times. Seems a risky venture to put people in those types of vessels, not knowing their abilities, along with the quickly changing weather out there.
I suppose you could get injured and have unfortunate things happen on any of those. People should do it at their own risk.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm your first YES vote. Hooray! Absolutely I would rent a fishing kayak for the following reason.

I read all the previous comments and though they are valid, they are written from the perspective of a Colorado resident. I'm going to guess that a fair number your clients will probably out of state people coming to visit wondering Colorado. I thought if i had the opportunity to rent a fishing kayak to fish along the shores of Florida and go after redfish, I would dish out money for that for sure.

I'm no business person but I think if you were to align yourself with major outfitters to cater to out of state people, you would get more reservations. Advertise in Vail, Copper, etc where all the rich out of towners stay.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot, i do think your prices are a little on the steep side for the rentals. Just my opinion
Thanks for your input! Great tips! We lowered our rates last week and then the same day we got our first reservation, husband and wife duo used the tandem yesterday and loved it. We hope the rate adjustment helps :)

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question. Yes those waters can get choppy. We plan to watch the weather continually (we'll be on site). We will also cancel ahead of time if there are any advisories. These crafts can definitely give someone a workout even without the wind so it's definitely something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The mile can be a sight more than choppy. I've seen 4' swells come up in a matter of minutes in the afternoon, often without warning. Bad medicine for the inexperienced.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I would research the liability involved if someone were to get hurt or worse. The idea that people "do things at their
own risk" unfortunately is not the way things work anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts