Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The walleye “season” is obviously not over. In fact, it has barely started, depending on how it is defined. For me, there are three seasons for walleyes in Colorado. The pre-spawn into the spawn, the fall, and the ice season. Most of my efforts are focused on the pre-spawn and the fall. I skip much of the spawn and the summer because I prefer to chase other fish in other places during those phases.

I met up with a friend yesterday for what is most likely my last night of fishing for walleye in Colorado before I focus my efforts out of state. The snow was no longer falling when I arrived at the lake, which made me doubt whether I had missed another opportunity. My doubts were quickly erased with the first fish of the night (26” and 7 lbs):

This fish was actually caught before my friend arrived. We kept working the shoreline, leap-frogging each other every 20 minutes or so. Two spots later, I hooked a 29.5” fish that looked like it was post-spawned:

This fish only weighed 8.5 lbs. It wasn’t as skinny as it looks in the picture but it was definitely not full of eggs.

The night ended with a 19.5”:

There are still many more good days ahead for you folks who like to pursue them in the spring and summer, but I am done with walleyes in Colorado for a while. Have at it, folks! And please post something up. I get tired of the same routine and I lose motivation, until someone posts something up. Then the spirit of competition kicks in…

Some pics from a couple of weeks ago:
Half eaten deer

Tracks on the shoreline

Maybe this is why I get an eerie feeling sometimes when I am out there in the dark by myself... Not to scare anyone but: fish at your own risk. >:D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Killing it AO!!! It's official... I'm getting a hair tie on ALL my rods!!!
Give it a shot! I'd recommend smearing blood from your first kill on your rod instead. It's kinda like the capitalist system: it takes money to make money. Except it's: it takes blood to draw more blood here. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was also a little worried when it quit snowing, but it was definitely a good night and I am glad the three of us were able to make it out and prove that fish there absolutely love snow days!! Great way to end the season.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Competition def drives people with fishing. I know it does for me to a certain degree. Much more fun with more people too. Nice fish AO.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nice fish - the local 'eyes will be happy that you're turning your sights to the East. I've yet to land a walleye this year, though not for a lack of trying. It's good to know that they're still eating...though that raises the likelihood that I'm off my game! :smile:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
though that raises the likelihood that I'm off my game! :smile:
It's been hit and miss. The luck of the draw... The friend I fished with yesterday caught nothing, but the roles could have easily been reversed. He's caught a 14, an 12, and a 11 pounder this year.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nicely done!!

Yeah those walleye during spawn can eat a deer like a pack of piranha :tongue:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Don't you sleep?
Nice night work!!
I only fished until 9:45 PM, and that was a late session. I'm not doing sessions into the late night anymore in Colorado. Leave that to the young bucks...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts