Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 1970 (yes, I know some of you weren't born yet!) Lee Wulff sold a fly called the "Wretched Mess". Here is part of an article about it from Gray's Sporting Journal, 1987. It is transcribed from a source I found on line.

----------

Joan and I were giving a trout fishing school for Garcia and the Sportsmen Club on the Elk River near Steamboat Springs in the summer of 1969. In the evenings after fishing I'd tie flies along with the other members of the group. As we were about to finish and clean up one the night, the discussion, turned to the question of the need for the fancy feathers that cost so much. I allowed that most of those feathers were for beauty as we saw it, for our own enjoyment, more than for effectiveness with the fish. I went further and said that the stuff fly tyers throw away could make as effective a fly as any one needed.

Reaching down into the waste materials scattered on the floor I picked up some hackle of soft, feathery butts of the hackles that every one throws away saying. " Here's some poor mans marabou". Then I found enough gray wool to make a body and a tiny bit of bright yellow yarn. From these I fashioned a nymph with a gray body, a yellow tail and four legs of the soft fluffy gray fibers off the hackle stems. It looked like a crawly thing to me and though the trout didn't have it on their list of known bugs, when it hit the river they felt a real urge to see what it tasted like. Charlie Meyers, outdoor writer for the Denver Post sang out I have a name for it! The Wretched Mess. I make it weighted and unweighted, a simple fly of simple materials.

----------

I never actually saw an example of this fly although a friend of mine claimed he had one. Does anyone have a photo or picture of this pattern? Are they still available from any source?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is the longest URL I ever saw. It even stretched my browser window out of shape. :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that is a cached google link as the srtieght link to the site is no good the site is probably gone and thankfuly google caches dam near everything you can find the book in many places but the other sites didnt have much info about

C

·
0 Posts
Walking Eagle,
My dad is a very avid collector of fishing items, especially lures and flies. In the seventies he bought some of these flies at an old , and since, closed bait shop. They were packaged under the company "C. H. Franks and Co." My dad used one but saved the rest. He caught his 5 lb brookie on this fly.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
catmann29 said:
Walking Eagle,
My dad is a very avid collector of fishing items, especially lures and flies. In the seventies he bought some of these flies at an old , and since, closed bait shop. They were packaged under the company "C. H. Franks and Co." My dad used one but saved the rest. He caught his 5 lb brookie on this fly.
so can you hit your old man up for a pic of the fly?

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but I still haven't figured out how to post pics. I told you I am slow at these things! lol Stupid computers! :eek:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
email it to my then ill keep it to my self, start tying them and get rich selling them to W.E.

lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts