Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever driven up I-70 westbound towards the Eisenhower tunnel and noticed what looks like a gravesite just off the side of the road about a 1/4 mile from the east portal? My girlfriend and I have noticed it quite a few times and we decided to pull-off the interstate to see who's grave it is.

Well, it's not an actual grave, but it's a memorial to the 31 people who died in a plane crash. They were members and supporters of the Wichita State football team who were flying to Utah for a game against Utah State. The date of the plane crash was....

October 2, 1970

When we saw the date, we both got chills. All the people who perished had their names on a bronze plaque and the memorial was covered with memetos from folks who've paid their respects over the years.

I took 2 flies from our fly box and pinned them to a small stick along side the memorial.

When I got home, I searched the internet for some information about the events that happened 35 years ago today. There were 2 planes that carried the team and supporters however, one plane went on a sight-seeing detour up the canyon. The pilot realized too late that the twin-prop aircraft didn't have the power to make it over the divide and it went into the side of the canyon. Ten people survived the crash.

Our fishing trip had a humble feel to it all day.

God bless their souls!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
kinda makes you wonder what made you check it out today!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts