Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend that we all know and love sent me this pic of whats left of his boat trailer tire from saturday night. Ive done it we've all done it but really how freekin LONG does it take to grind the rim halfway off? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Thats 7-10 MILES FOR FREEKIN KRIST!
NO WONDER THE GUBMINT KEEPS PASSING STUPID LAWS TO SAVE US FROM OURSELVES! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been there before, buddy had a flat off the beaten path, no wrench, drove a tire and then the aluminum wheel off of a jeep. Took about 45 mins and half a bottle of crown :)

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I fear this very thing when I have the boat hooked to the diesel, the other tow rigs I'd feel something wasn't right, the diesel, I can't even tell I'm towing anything.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been there before, buddy had a flat off the beaten path, no wrench, drove a tire and then the aluminum wheel off of a jeep. Took about 45 mins and half a bottle of crown :)
They had wrenches, spare tire and weren't drinking-

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
:eek:. Dayum!! Did it get down to the wheel well on the trailer??

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was fishing elsewhere at the time. They don't bong either-

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Yep it was me...had been on rough back country roads and evidently the full length trailer guide on had come loose and when i got back to I-70 the metal post/bracket popped out and crashed down into the tire...honestly I never felt a thing...no trailer shift no nothing...noticed sparks while doing the every few minute check of the boat in the side view mirrors...it is a 14 foot boat with the pee wee tires on a shorelander trailer...the metal bracket and the concrete did the dual job of peeling that rim off...the rims with the small tires are pretty wimpy...i was stunned we were able to get it off the trailer...and after getting the spare on and driving it for 5 miles the hubs were completely cool...stopped again after 10 miles...and once again totally cool to the touch...finished the drive home checked them again and no heat what so ever...so the bearings survived that cluster F...going to get them replaced and checked out...soonest appointment is May 16th...big truck pulling a small boat never felt a thing...

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Z, I know a guy that does mobile trailer repairs, been using him for years. I just had my trailers serviced by him. It was $130/axle.

Dave Garcia at Trailerwerks. *(303) 961-6236‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Thanks much...I saw that name/number somewhere online and googled it and didnt come up much...so I wasnt sure it was still an active business...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
30 minutes a wheel?
75 cents in grease?

No problem.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yep it was me...had been on rough back country roads and evidently the full length trailer guide on had come loose and when i got back to I-70 the metal post/bracket popped out and crashed down into the tire...honestly I never felt a thing...no trailer shift no nothing...noticed sparks while doing the every few minute check of the boat in the side view mirrors...it is a 14 foot boat with the pee wee tires on a shorelander trailer...the metal bracket and the concrete did the dual job of peeling that rim off...the rims with the small tires are pretty wimpy...i was stunned we were able to get it off the trailer...and after getting the spare on and driving it for 5 miles the hubs were completely cool...stopped again after 10 miles...and once again totally cool to the touch...finished the drive home checked them again and no heat what so ever...so the bearings survived that cluster F...going to get them replaced and checked out...soonest appointment is May 16th...big truck pulling a small boat never felt a thing...
You're a better man than me Z! Glad it ended up being a minor issue.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
BUT... How was the fishing? lol!
Geez Us a crist... You lucked out.. BIG TIME, Mark...
Coulda been a real mess....

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
lol Too clean that has to be staged...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts