Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be hunting near Gillette & Buffalo, Wy. the first week in Oct. I think we might have a day free, and would like to try fishing. A buddy of mine told me to try Meadowlark Lake in the Big Horn mountains. It would be nice to wet a line and catch something.

I'm from Texas, and the water down here is way too hot for trout or most other northern fish, so we're pretty inexperienced when it comes to things like trout. I need some advice on where to fish and what to use on the end of the line. I don't have a fly rod and likely won't learn how to fly fish in two weeks. In MO once I was told that for trout, use these flourescent, round, floating bait with an egg weight and float them off the bottom about a foot or two. Would this work in Wy? Where would be a good place to fish around Buffalo, Wy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Sounds like you're referring to Power bait. You can catch trout on that, but I'd suggest using Panther Martins... get a range of colors/flourescents and stream fish... bright shiny ones on bright days... darker colors, less shiny ones on overcast days.

Cast upstream and drag those spinners across slow pools, get ready for some fun. I'm afraid I'm not the guy to suggest a location, but I know stream fishing with Panthers. :) I wish you luck, and do please take pictures and post them here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch. I'll give them a try, and let you know what happens. I'm sure I'll leave a few for the next guy, but you never know.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
kastmasters, panther martins, rapala x raps and rooster tails will get you into trout up there. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts