Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a lure junke...one of the things I love about fishing is collecting and trying new lures...

anyway...I saw a thing on the new Rapala X-Rap. They call it a "slash bait" which is kind of a darty shallow crankbait. I saw a video of it on the web and it looks to have an original looking action.

I'm not sure how long these have been out so I was wondering if anyone has tried one yet. If not...we'll just have to wait until spring!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have used them on a few occassion with no success - trying for walleye. Of course, I try a lot of things without success when fishing for walleye.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think it was about a year ago that the X-Rap came out. They look pretty in the store, but so far the only enthusiastic testimonials I have read were written by Rapala marketing people. :D

It's kind of a different lure, and not that old, so maybe the only problem is that people haven't learned to fish them effectively yet.

W. E.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I've had some sucsess w/ them right off the bat. There action (IMO) is like that of a husky jerk or a Bomber suspending long A. You can (I've seen in the commercial) jerk the tip to make it "slash". It looks wicked, but I imagine you could do the same w/ any suspending jerkbait.
I had one day at Frank Easement when I had Carp continually hitting one. I brought a few in on it. I've caught a few Bass on them, mostly on a slow retrieve w/ a pause thrown in here and there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
couple dinky smallmouth but other than that nothing. Iceintheveins caught a walleye on one once and had a pike on.
Overall, I think, along with many rapala products, they catch fisherman more than fish. Rapalas are great in certain conditions though it just has to be perfec though I think. (I love countdowns though)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
They make a #8 and a #14 now. The old version was a #10

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a bit of luck catching bass on them, but the ones I tried all ran different. You would think they would be simular but they were not. I agree with James, they do act like a Husky Jerk with a cool splash. Something different that you might be able to fool the fish with!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts