Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left Denver at 6am 12.25 and got to the trailhead in about an hour. walked onto the ice right at sun up and the wind came right up with it. foot or so of ice. Caught 2 on a copper colored tipped jighead, one ate a wax worm the other a chunk of shrimp. Got hits on a tiny silver and blue kasty but didn't hook up.

The wind was a whole new experience for me, even kneeling I had a hard time maintaining my posture and on my feet my boots slid right over the ice during the gusts. the wind got faster over the next couple hours and we made it a quick trip but it was a memorable one with all the grief the wind caused.

Hope everyone here had a great holiday.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Left Denver at 6am 12.25 and got to the trailhead in about an hour. walked onto the ice right at sun up and the wind came right up with it. foot or so of ice. Caught 2 on a copper colored tipped jighead, one ate a wax worm the other a chunk of shrimp. Got hits on a tiny silver and blue kasty but didn't hook up.

The wind was a whole new experience for me, even kneeling I had a hard time maintaining my posture and on my feet my boots slid right over the ice during the gusts. the wind got faster over the next couple hours and we made it a quick trip but it was a memorable one with all the grief the wind caused.

Hope everyone here had a great holiday.
Nice man. Yeah that lake is awesome first ice.... see any tigers? After December If I want my Dinky Brookie
Fix with my son, I'll hit up officers gulch. If you're down to hike cataract lake is a good one too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice man. Yeah that lake is awesome first ice.... see any tigers? After December If I want my Dinky Brookie
Fix with my son, I'll hit up officers gulch. If you're down to hike cataract lake is a good one too.
I'm happy to hike in. My buddy's 2nd fish looked different but my look at it was short and through some serious driving snow, read of gusts up to 70 mph at Evergreen and up to 90 mph across the front range so I really don't know what we were up against at 10700. It was impossible to get our lighter tackle to drop with the wind pulling on the lines and our holes were constantly getting filled with slush. Not to mention my buddy's plano box getting ripped open and scattered across the lake.

if you ever want to meet for a weekend morning hike in I'd be down

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Lol last time I iced that lake I felt like I was in an immortal or emperor music video. Storms come quickly at any time of the year up there.

Honestly man I'm not much for hiking real far in snow anymore. I'm more of a "snowmobile" kinda guy lol. The hike into cataract isn't that far or hard from the gate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts