Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might just be a yahoo... :biggrin1:

First fish last night and one of the skinniest MA class walleye I have ever caught:

Better fish:

Bad picture but an MA bass:

Couple of eaters:

Not a bad night. Make me a yahoo every night, and a super yahoo every now and then. :D

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very nice, AO!!! I need some fresh feesh in my life... I believe I will try on Friday!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the drive for the night shift that I used to
Me neither, but I'll still get out when the conditions are good. I have probably only done half the outings I normally do in the fall.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Nice AO!!!

You really like to jerk it :)

Question, how long do you throw a specific jerk before changing color?

Are you constantly on the move or hone in on a specific spot and focus more on changing lure size/color?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Question, how long do you throw a specific jerk before changing color?
It just depends. Where I am fishing also dictates what I throw. If shallower, I reach for a Husky jerk or other jerkbaits that don't dive as deep. It's also less costly to lose a Husky Jerk vs. more expensive jerkbaits. If I'm fishing deeper, I might throw a Duo Realis or some other jerkbaits that dive deeper. Different lures have different actions too. Color is the last variable I'll tweak. I tend to throw brighter lures on dark nights and vice versa on bright nights. The range of lures you see in this report is more dictated by the change in the lake bottom and weather condition. Hints: the full moon was out, but there were periods of fairly dense cloud cover (change in lure color) and the wind was variable (change in lure for different action/retrieve).

Are you constantly on the move or hone in on a specific spot and focus more on changing lure size/color?
It depends where I fish. Some lakes/areas can be limited in prime shoreline. If I can move, I would rather just move. Most of the time, if they are there, they will bite. If I have to fish a limited area or know I am on a good spot, I will experiment with different lures and sometimes colors.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I catch a fish I usually stick with that pattern and concentrate only on locating fish
That's my preference as well: move rather than trying change things around. I think we may have been typing at the same time. Hopefully what i typed above addresses your questions. I am by no means an expert and that's just the way I do things based on my experience on the water.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just depends. Where I am fishing also dictates what I throw. If shallower, I reach for a Husky jerk or other jerkbaits that don't dive as deep. It's also less costly to lose a Husky Jerk vs. more expensive jerkbaits. If I'm fishing deeper, I might throw a Duo Realis or some other jerkbaits that dive deeper. Different lures have different actions too. Color is the last variable I'll tweak. I tend to throw brighter lures on dark nights and vice versa on bright nights. The range of lures you see in this report is more dictated by the change in the lake bottom and weather condition. Hints: the full moon was out, but there were periods of fairly dense cloud cover (change in lure color) and the wind was variable (change in lure for different action/retrieve).

It depends where I fish. Some lakes/areas can be limited in prime shoreline. If I can move, I would rather just move. Most of the time, if they are there, they will bite. If I have to fish a limited area or know I am on a good spot, I will experiment with different lures and sometimes colors.
One more thing: sometimes lures get changed just because they were lost... :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing!:thumb::thumb:
That first one needs to lay off the meth!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good looking fish except the first one.
I caught a skinnier fish than that out of a lake south of Denver. It had a bigger frame than this one, but it was so skinny, it looked like a skeleton.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts