Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who has a Yak? Whats a good one to get? Seen the HobieCats. Dont have time to do a lot of researching so I figured there should be some good info here.

·
P I K E
10,243 Posts
Depends on what you really want bud. If you don't want to paddle the Hobie like the one I bought this spring is great. It's a 2012 model 12ft so it is a little older but cheaper in great shape and the guy gave me a bunch of accessories with it, paid $1200.00 for it. I'm putting a raised seat, fish finder and new rod holders on it if I can get caught up around here. If you don't mind paddling the Ascend 10 or 12 footers from BPS are great units. I sold my 10 foot sit-on-top to Ronco and haven't heard any complaints yet!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Check out Old Town Predators. You can get a foot paddle version and a motorized version. I've had mine for a few years and absolutely love it. I opted for the Minn Kota drive version. Top speed is around 5 mph and I don't have to paddle unless I want to. You can stand in it with no worries. Can't say Hobie's aren't nice. But, I've been in both and I like the Old Town better. I ended up with a trailer, fish finder and rod holders for way less than than what a Hobie would've cost without those items.

This company's customer service is top notch. I believe I paid around $300 to have it shipped to me though. But, well worth the money.

http://www.austinkayak.com

·
P I K E
10,243 Posts
^^^^^x2 on that site! I've ordered some stuff from them also and fast service!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have owned propel equipped Natives and now have two Hobie Revos. The Hobie drive takes up less space and handles weeds better.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Have a pescador pilot 120
Pedal drive.. was $1800 shipped from kayakcity

I can stand in it. Pretty good storage. Can't see spending more than about 2g's for a yak..

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
Have a pescador pilot 120
Pedal drive.. was $1800 shipped from kayakcity

I can stand in it. Pretty good storage. Can't see spending more than about 2g's for a yak..
I dropped $350 for mine and that was too much to stomach--:p

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info! Ill narrow it down.

Not adding yaks to the farm, yet! LOL.

Bought a camper to spend some time away from the farm and work - figure I need a yak, want another "big" boat but dont feel like towing doubles when going camping.

How are all the above listed yaks in wind waves (i.e. rough lakes and or big water?)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a 12' NuCanoe that has been a lot of fun. I can stand in it to cast or shoot ducks, it's really stable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts