Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a small sample of what we caught on the yampa. Sadly, my camera was dunked in water and lost pics of 3 smallies over 3 pounds including a 4 pounder, lost a pic of an 8 pound pike I caught and lost the pic of a 3 pound pike I caught. Basically, it is pics of ice and my dad with fish they caught, and two of mine as well (my dad took these on his camera; we were fishing right next to each other in the certain spot)

Here's me with a snake 23" northern on a spinner. the bear with his trademark face and growl!

Better shot of the same snake

ice with an average yampa northern caught on a spinner

ice with a bit below average pike caught on a buzzbait

my dad with a decent pike caught on a curly

very nice smallie my dad landed on a buzzer

here is the beast northern I caught. Probably nearly 40". He already had broken my line a few minutes before on a small panther, then decided to slam a #15 silver panther. Got him to the bank and took a pic, I'm not willing to get eaten alive and bitten to get a pic of a pike

ice with a 34" caught on a buzzer

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I know, I know. but please don't focus on that ;) there is a nice fish in the picture too you can look at. lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All I can say is wow, what a special fishery. Words cannot describe the hatred I have for those who would like to destroy it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
TFB have you been to the ponds inbetween craig and hayden. iwas going over that way soon to see my new nephew and so they can see my new son. i am from craig but haven't fished there in a long time

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meandmydog said:
TFB have you been to the ponds inbetween craig and hayden. iwas going over that way soon to see my new nephew and so they can see my new son. i am from craig but haven't fished there in a long time
Background: CDOW and USFWS relocate a small percentage of fish shocked in the yampa to those ponds "where practical". (most are either euthanized or put into other ponds). They say they "want ALL pike harvested out of these ponds" for a lot of reasons that hold no water.
These ponds do not have many pike in them for the reasons stated above, and most of the pike in there are extremely angler-savvy. If you fish these ponds, please release all pike you catch, we all want diversity after all. Best lures should be soft plastics rigged texas style with no weight and fished slowly, like a zoom super fluke (did great at stagecoach with zoom superfluke this year) twitched slowly, or slow rolled spinnerbaits. No wire leader--heavy floro--. Good times to fish right now should be a high-sunny day. Look for pike to be fairly shallow, sunning themselves.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
879 Posts
TFB, Great pics and it sounds like a great day fishing. I agree with you that all of the pike and bass caught in the river need to be released ( when I fished there growing up we used to throw all of the suckers on the bank to get them out of the river and I didn't know the difference between a white fish, carp or chub back then) so that it is a diverse fishery. I do slightly disagree with you about the ponds, that is if you guys are referring to the ponds across from the rest area. I caught several pike out of there that their lower jaws were broken in two and mouths so ripped up that it is a wonder that they bit at all, not to mention all the scares and missing fins from other pike attacks. Nothing in that water for them to eat except each other. I kept those to eat and released all of the "healthy" ones.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Below craig. That's as general as I'm getting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts