Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased to report that pike are alive and well in the yampa river. In two days of fishing the past two weeks, we landed 18 pike and lost many others. Most were in the 5 - 10 pound range but some were bigger.
Long live the Yampa Pike.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ice that is great. if you ever need somebody to help you catch all those pike let me know

·
Registered
404 Posts
That is good news. We'd just better hope nobody from the DOW reads this forum. They might get some ideas...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Definitely still some nice pike in that river, I went with ice once in the past 2 weeks and I landed 5 between 24 and 36". I just love getting pike on buzzbaits, of course they did hit the #6 panthers we were gettin' smallies on too.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kpetro said:
That is good news.  We'd just better hope nobody from the DOW reads this forum.  They might get some ideas...
Oh they already know about it. But I'm not going to give any specific regions. In some of this area they can't shock anyway.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fishdawg said:
Do you use the same baits for river pike as you would at say Stagecoach?  Any on a fly-rod?
That would be awesome to catch these gators on a fly rod. I know a lot of the guides from Steamboat do that and they love the pike more than they do the trout.
I have settled on two lures for these yampa pike: big panther martin spinners and buzzbaits. In lakes these lures work well too, but my two go to lures for pike in a lake are spinnerbaits and jointed rapalas. However big spinners and buzzbaits work well in lakes too. Nothing like a big gator crashing a buzzbait.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would have thought the buzz and spinner baits would not "work" right in a flowing body of water.............. What am I talking about? Pike aren't leader shy brook trout. They will flat attack anything that gets near them. That's part of why I love to fish for them the violence of the strikes. What kind of cfs flows will that river typically be at this time of year? Fast water, skinny water, pools?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ya you might want to keep it on the down low. All those pike haters might petition the DOW to exterminate all the pike the yampa. It's nice to see some people still enjoy those toothy waterwolves. LONG LIVE THE ESOX.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fishdawg said:
I would have thought the buzz and spinner baits would not "work" right in a flowing body of water.............. What am I talking about? Pike aren't leader shy brook trout. They will flat attack anything that gets near them. That's part of why I love to fish for them the violence of the strikes. What kind of cfs flows will that river typically be at this time of year? Fast water, skinny water, pools?
buzzbaits work better in the current. Cast downstream and the current rises it to the top and you slowly pull it near the grass edges. Bam. In colorado pike are leader shy and don't attack much in most places, but the yampa is a rare exception. Probably be 600 cfs , with slow water in most places although I know where it is fast in a certain area and there is great smallmouth and a few pike DOW can't ruin.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
meandmydog said:
i grew up fishing the yampa and believe it or not a red and white daredevil out fished everything i used 2-1
cool. I might try one next time.

·
Registered
745 Posts
that sounds like fun, I love those slimey monsters. Have you ever tried the Rio Grande in Alamosa? Or the Sanchez res? There are BIG pike!!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fillets said:
that sounds like fun, I love those slimey monsters. Have you ever tried the Rio Grande in Alamosa? Or the Sanchez res? There are BIG pike!!
I know Sanchez is good and I knew the Rio Grande had pike, but how good is the pike fishing in the Rio Grande? Can you float it or is it only navigable during high flows? I know its smaller than the Yampa.
If you would be interesting in giving me some details about where to fish for Rio Grande Pike, PM me. You can be sure I will release every single pike caught.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts