Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a lot of questions from clients on how to rig the yarn indicators I use. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this setup, but for those of you that haven't here ya go! http://www.joeshaferflyfishing.com/how-to-setup-a-yarn-indicator-rig/

I'm curious how many of you use indicators and how many are switching away from indicators completely? (For rivers and stillwaters) Just interested to see where fly fishing is headed in Colorado.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Hi JSFF75,

I have tried indicators a few times, but I never liked them. I've nymph fished for more years than I care to state and have done it without an indicator.

If I feel the need for some sort of indicator, I'll use hand tied leaders with various colors for the various sections.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I get a lot of questions from clients on how to rig the yarn indicators I use. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this setup, but for those of you that haven't here ya go! http://www.joeshaferflyfishing.com/how-to-setup-a-yarn-indicator-rig/

I'm curious how many of you use indicators and how many are switching away from indicators completely? (For rivers and stillwaters) Just interested to see where fly fishing is headed in Colorado.
Not sure if we use the same setup for nymphing as you guys up there but it looks similar so no doubt could be adapted. Only wish I had read this 10 yrs ago as have been experimenting for yonks for a setup that was easy to slide back & forth to suit varying water depths, yet stay in place when shifted.

Have finally cracked it with a design I eventually manage to develop myself
however we tend to use brighter coloured egg pattern yarn down here as most water due to rapid flow needs something with high visibility ... at least it does for me.

Have always found tying various lengths & BS leader material together via double blood knots very tedious, as well as ( certainly in my case anyway ) far from fool proof.

Am pleased to say have discovered a dead simple method, born of a time I had incurred repeated break offs & could not be bothered re tying yet again so resorted to this simple alternative which proved to be admirably suitable
therefore have used it ever since without any failures.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like the pinch-on foam for rivers-less resistence for casting.
Placing the indicator 7-8 feet above the fly in 2-3 fow to fool the educated tailwater fish [ 11mile canyon]..
On lakes when hatches are going on foam ants and beetles with an unweighted nymph under. Good set-up for the Spinney shallows.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since I started euro-style nymphing last year, I've completely moved away from any type of indicators besides high-vis line.

For example I use a "red hot power leader" (milky white) + tippet ring + 18-24" bi-colored indicator tippet + tippet ring + straight section of 6x fluorocarbon (length depending on depth I'm targeting). The combo of the power leader + bi-colored indicator provide enough contrast to gauge nymph depth.

I know there are cases where some buoyancy is required (flotation device), but I rarely run into them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using that system or one similar for the last 20 years or so for river fishing. I like it because of how you said it is very sensitive and easy to move up and down the leader as needed. If I move to a pool or run that requires High Sticking, I slide it all the way up. The only difference, I put the floatant on the Velcro brush when I first start brushing out the yarn. Either way works.

For stillwaters, I tend to go without an indicator but have on occasion used the same rig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts