Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd give a heads up for anyone who likes the taste of Perch but really doesn't like trying to fillet out the little guys.

We tore up the Perch on Boyd one day this weekend (along with a few trout :) ) and my kid really, REALLY wanted to bring a few of his perch home. So, he kept 5 or 6 of the bigger ones.

I decided that instead of trying to actually fillet the perch, to smoke them whole. He headed/gutted the fish, I brined them overnight and smoked them on Sunday.

After a night in the fridge, the skin peels off SUPER easy, and the ribs and backbone mostly peel right out of the meat. Easy-cheesy, and TASTY too! It's almost like smoked walleye.

--Duck911

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess if you don't like cold, smoked fish this wouldn't be your thing.

But cold is about the only way I prefer my smoked fish, so I thought it was pretty tasty, and easy, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I smoked some perch and blue gill once, they were really good. I agree with eating smoked fish cold, I can't stand it straight off the smoker for some reason. If you are feeling lazy about cleaning perch try this method it works pretty good after you practice it a few times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've recently tried a baked parmesan perch recipe that I liked a lot. Only 1T of butter involved in 1 lb of fish. It was quick to make and tasted great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts