Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of guy's of this forum from Minnesota, my son and I are both from Duluth, Minnesota and I can't believe how many guys are on the forum from Minnesota. Fishing here is a bit different, but it's great, and we love it.
At least you don't have the -30 & -40 below zero stuff to worry about.

Shark
Good Luck Fishin -n- Keep Yer Line Wet

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Shark,

I grew up about an hour south of Duluth on Hiway 53 - town called Minong, WI. Ice fishing out here IS a bit different. I'm used to tipups and live bait back home. It took several years of living out here before I decided to give ice fishing here a try. I'm really glad I did. What I do miss is the variety of species and the quick drive (without traffic) to the lakes.

Maybe I'll see you out there sometime. Look for the Packers hat.

Jeff

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have a buddy who lives in Minneapolis. He took me ice fishing at white bear lake and had i not seen it with my own eyes, i would have never beleived it. besides looking like a scene out of Grumpy old men, there were trucks, trailers, and even a guy flying around with an old piper cub landed on the ice. Those MN guys have ice fishing down to an art. Also, with the 3 feet of ice, my buddy said it was "kinda thin" this year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i grew up in minneapolis...just spent a week back in MN on lake mille lacs...what i wouldnt give for walleye like that out here! good to see minnesotans out west. GO GOPHERS!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Almost everyone I meet on the ice has an accent that sounds like they are from Minnesota. I'm a coloradan pure and through, a long way back in my family, although I wasn't born in CO. I was born in Everett, Washington. It's kind of like the episode of king of the hill where hank found out he wasn't born in texas, but new york.
Oh well, sorry for the tangent, I just think its a funny episode.......lol.......

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hey Shark! Welcome, you got it lately alot of Minnesotan's on the forum.

I grew up in Little Falls, Mn. Went to school in Bemidji, Mn.. Lived down around Chaska, Mn. for years and years before the company I was with moved me out here about 12 years ago. I love it here. Do miss some, lived in Mn. about 35 years.

Mikinaak 8)

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Buncha beer swillin',brat chewin',fish murderin' types invading the pure ice of Colorado! But I'm a Polock from Jersey so what the heck do I know? ;D Seriously though,I meet a ton of Minnesotans every winter down in Mexico on the beach!

Y

·
0 Posts
Born and raised in Colorado but I grew up playing hockey so I have met a lot of guys from Minnesota...sounds like a great place with all the hockey and great walleye and pike fishing...winters are too long for me though....When I was at 11-mile this past Sat. my truck said -35 degrees at witchers cove at about 7:00 a.m....Had a little plastic piece break on my gas auger which made it almost impossible to start, reels were frozen stiff, the plastic windows on my shelter cracked and my waxworms froze to death....Mr. Heater was my best friend that morning....I am glad it is not like that very often here.

·
Registered
375 Posts
born and raised in colo went to mich a couple years back to do some ice fishin in thunder bay but the ice broke off and floated out when we got there so we fished lake hubbard instead. the next year we went at the same time but the ice was melting and the steel head were running caught some of those and some big browns what a blast. Still haven't been any colder than 11-mile -35 at 6 o'clock in the morning, and I think it drops about ten degrees when the sun really hits the ice, brrrrrrrrr :eek:

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
i grew up in minneapolis...just spent a week back in MN on lake mille lacs...what i wouldnt give for walleye like that out here!
...we may not have the quantity...but I have caught far larger ones here than I ever caught there...and I also believe the Colorado State record is larger than the Minnesota State record fish...and yes I know...a longer growing season here...

And they have not printed enough money in the history of man to make me move back to the cold, the bugs, the 3 weeks of drizzle at a time, the humidity...the sun shines here 90% of the time...cant beat that...course we have too many Californians and Texans...and Boulder...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
zman said:
And they have not printed enough money in the history of man to make me move back to the cold, the bugs, the 3 weeks of drizzle at a time, the humidity...the sun shines here 90% of the time...cant beat that...course we have too many Californians and Texans...and Boulder...
Amen to all of that... well said. I might return to Minnesota -- for one day -- for a wedding or a funeral. Then again, I might not.....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Zman.... better check out the Minnesota Stugeon record...

Still proud of where I'm from.... 8)

Thank God its not Texas or California, hope thier not ice fisherman!
We get into enough trouble on this site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
9 miles NE of Two Harbors, MN - by Crow Creek- just about 40 miles from Duluth. Spent the first half of my life there on the shore of Lake Superior - Dillon's Highway 61.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Well, I am not from Minnesota, I am from some where better. South Dakota, or as we call it "God's Country".

I would love to be able to move back there and enjoy the year round walleye, perch and bluegill fishing. Great hunting in the fall.

Now I don't exactly relish the idea mosquitos (Minnesota State Bird) that you need a tennis racquet to swat or -30 degrees in winter but I could work with it..............After all that is what a Shanty is for!

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Now I don't exactly relish the idea mosquitos (Minnesota State Bird) that you need a tennis racquet to swat
Mosquitos so big they have woodticks on them!!!...

Insert Quote
Zman.... better check out the Minnesota Stugeon record...
I was just referring to walleyes...

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Amen to all of that... well said. I might return to Minnesota -- for one day -- for a wedding or a funeral. Then again, I might not....."

all the better for me....the cold keeps out the weak!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The "strong" can have it!...ENJOY!...

·
Registered
38 Posts
moved here from Mn about 30years ago settled in the Pine Jct CO area. Left a son living in International Falls - Rainy River, Rainy Lake area. Talk about smallie and eye fishing. Visited son about two years ago were out for dinner at Shay- Shay on the lake and these two dudes from Chicago saunter in each hoisting a breeder eye about 10 pounds. Natives gave them all kinds of hell. Up there you eat the small one and release the big ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts