Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an Art project by Artist CHRISTO and Jeane-Claude thats being debated to cover the Arkansas river in Fabric. The construction and amount of traffic generated is definately going to hurt Fly fishing shops business in the area and potential hurt the fishing there as well. There was an article in the December Fly Fisherman magazine and you can also check out the artist site www.christojeanneclaude.net
Here is a letter I got fromg Greg Felt of ArkAnglers, I thought I would pass on to reach more people.

January 24, 2006

Dear Friends,

There has been a lot of publicity of late regarding the proposed "Over the River" art installation on the Arkansas by the artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude. The BLM is currently conducting an EA on this proposal and is gathering feedback on issues pertinent to the application. The project would suspend fabric panels above the river in the Spikebuck area below Texas Creek and at the "county line" reach below Salida. In all, eight miles of the river would be "draped" with these fabric panels. Installation and dismantling of the project would take as much as three years time with the work on display for a two week period in the summer, possibly as soon as 2009. Past projects by these artists have generated visitation in the hundreds of thousands of people. While we do not believe the project poses a significant threat to the health of the fishery, it is becoming evident that the amount of traffic and disruption along the river during the years of installation, viewing, and removal will have a significantly negative impact on ArkAnglers and our ability to provide the infrastructure (accurate, timely information; well-supplied fly shops; shuttle services; guide services) that anglers associate with a legitimate fishery. If you believe that approval of this project will negatively impact your ability or desire to fish the Arkansas River in the years ahead, we urge you to make your feelings known to the BLM. Please email the field office director at [email protected] with your thoughts before February 10. If you prefer, you can also mail hard copies to:

Bureau of Land Management

Royal Gorge Field Office

Attention: Roy Masinton

3170 E. Main

Canon City, CO 81212

Statements as to whether or not the project is truly art, whether or not the artists are arrogant in their attempt to ?improve on nature?, etc?have been made repeatedly by community members already and do not appear to have much bearing on the decision-making process. Of greater interest to the land managers will be statements regarding the impacts to visitation patterns and, specifically, angler perceptions of the traffic and crowding issues and how those perceptions will impact visitation decisions over time, and the extent to which the impacts will be felt outside the installation area (i.e. will you refrain from visiting the entire Arkansas River during this time because of crowding, even though the installation will be confined to the Bighorn Sheep Canyon area?).

Thank you very much for considering this issue and taking the opportunity to comment on it.

Best Regards,

Greg Felt

ArkAnglers

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I hope the good citizens of Salida and surrounding areas have the sense to tell Christo to take his circus somewhere else. Covering up Gods art with a tarp is not art.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kirbydog said:
I hope the good citizens of Salida and surrounding areas have the sense to tell Christo to take his circus somewhere else. Covering up Gods art with a tarp is not art.
I couldnt agree more.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think that is totally and utterly disgusting and the two so-called "artists" need a powerful kick in the gluteus maximus.

As somebody once said, "I may not know art, but I know a mess when I see one."

If they wanted to surround the destroyed areas of New Orleans with colorful fabric, I bet I can predict the response.

I hope the officials involved are only going through the proper motions, and are not seriously considering this act of idiocy.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These guys have done it a lot I guess they draped the surrounding islands of Biscayne Bay, Florida in pink fabric... They did it in New York's Central Park and back in 1972 they made a "Orange Curtain" in Rifle, Colorado which was up for about 30 hours before winds damaged it and they took it down.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I saw a TV documentary on the Biscayne Bay thing. What a waste of time. Artists? These guys call themselves artists? Like, as in Da Vinci, or Picasso, or Raphael, or Renoir, or Monet? Give me a break.

They create these huge spectacular projects in the hope that the great magnitude of it will distract people from recognizing their complete lack of artistic talent.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Email Address Update

UPDATE:
The email response has been great please use this new email address if you plan on emailing still.

If you have not commented to the BLM on the Over the River art project yet and still intend to do so, please use the following email address

[email protected]

Apparently the tremendous response from anglers has overwhelmed Roy Masinton?s email system and it is making it hard for him to do his job. If you have commented already, your comment has been captured and included in the assessment of this project.

Thanks to all for the input!

Greg Felt

ArkAnglers

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont understand why you all feel this way? A million dollors that could feed hungry people, should be spent on art that covers up gods creation............ ???
This is really a touchy subject for me, if it comes up on the TV my wife leaves the room, it infuriates me.......who could call this garbage art, it just gos to show that if your a Euro billionaire w/ time to kill they will let you do anything. I wont even get started on how stupid this is. Gerrrrrrrr :mad: ??? :mad:..........Idiots!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did I wake up in the Twilight Zone?????

This show's how screwed up our priorities have become in some areas of our society.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Several research projects have been done in Hokkaido Japan wherein scienitsts have put covers over long sections of stream with screen covers to reduce or eliminate input of terrestrial insects to the stream and see what affect it has on the fish. The data clearly show that the fish move out of the covered reaches when the terrestrial insects are excluded in this way. This installation is not quite as tight as the covers used in the studies in Japan, but will probably serve to reduce input of some terrestrial insects into the stream in the affected areas.

If the cover is not up for long, the effect will probably not be severe or long-ranging, but I am not in favor of screwing with aquatic habitat for the sake of art or more accurately the sake of increasing a so-called artist's fame. It's exploitation of a public resource for a one-time gain in tourism dollars and the personal advancement of some 'artist'. Not cool

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is an old tattered trash bag hanging from a tree at my house. This is my grandest art endeavor so please stop by to see it as it will only be on display for a few more weeks...

Maybe, being that I have my piece already on display here in this state, Christo and Jean-Claude should go cover up something in France.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well it seam to be difinitive fishermen are not art lovers

art is an outward expression from within, if this "drapping of the river" is what is within them so be it there are many forms of art that i dont like but just because i dont like or understand it does not mean it is not art.

my only concern is how will it fully impact my stomping grounds bighorn sheep canyon is my home turf i live work and play very near and in this area

some speak of this as money wasted that could be better spent yet dont consider the economic boost this will bring to the area how many of you that fish this streach of the river have had lunch at the cotopaxi store or the texas creek cafe? did you even know they were there what of the small bussiness in howard, swissvale and all the other tiny stops along the river most of these places are not that well off finacialy heck most of there traffic goes via interstate 70 these days if you take a drive along the river from parkdale to salida just look at the abandoned places think of the school kids that go without these are the folks that will benifit finacialy from this along with of course the promoters

what i want to know is will i be excluded from enjoying the river in those "draped" streaches leaglely or will the HWY be so crowded that i wont be able to get in there any way

what sort of construction damage will be done to the river banks where these drapes are anchored

will they be closeing sections of public access for years to these areas as it will take time to put up and take down

there is no question that if this goes thru there will be a tremendous boon to the economy of the upper arkansas valley

but at what cost to us and our access to the river is it a fair trade?

that is what is important not, wheather or not you think it is art!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Whether fishermen are art lovers or not -- and some are -- they might still oppose this project for reasons that have nothing to do with art, no matter how you define it.

The economic argument is nothing but a form of blackmail. The businesses that might benefit from it have not asked for this and did not expect it, did not hire these so-called "artists", and for all I know they might not want people messing with the river, either.

Reminds me of the German proverb, "Where money leads the way, all roads are open."

There is only one acceptable resolution to this stupid proposal, and that is that the idiots who want to do it be told to keep their damn hands off it.

As for the economics of the area, they are what they are, and a temporary blip in the curve will change nothing in the long run. There are areas who need the money worse. Let them take their millions and send it to New Orleans.

--- Crabby Old Walking Eagle

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I am sure most fisherman appreciate art. I certainly do. But art has its place and in my opinion its not over the Arkansas River as suggested by Christo.

I don't think any of us can improve on Mother Nature's artristry!

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Better people than I have tried to answer the question, "What is art?", but my own instincts say that if somebody has to tell me it's art, it probably isn't.

The old circular definition:

Q: What is art?
A: It's something produced by an artist.
Q: What is an artist?
A: It's someone who produces art.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
OK I might as well be honest, for all my spouting about art I scored exactly 50%. Apparently I am way too quick to label something as "crap" rather than art. But ask me if I care. I actually like labeling things as crap. It feels good. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts