Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. I've tied some of these, and they've fished as well as any other midges I've fished.

The one exception I'd add is that I'm skeptical of this fly in black. The segmentation looses some of its effect, imo. If I'm tying this one in black, I almost always tie it in the "flasher."

·
Registered
377 Posts
I saw that article a few weeks ago and so tied some up in cream/black head and brown/black head in size 22's and put on one of the cream ones the other day on the Poudre after drifting some black and gray WD 40's for a good while with no bites. Proceeded to have 5 fish on in the next hour or so, all on the Yong's even though I had two other nymphs on at the same time. Only landed one but two of the others were "better" fish is all I can say.

However, the very next day, in another place on the same river, couldn't buy a bite with the Yong's and so tried a gray RSII and proceeded to hook 4 on the RSII. Next time, fished the Yong's with RSII below it and had 4 more bites all on the RSII.

So, go figure . . .

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been fishing them for a few season now, mainly because the simplicity of tying them. All in all I’d say they work very well, but then again I’m heard the saying it’s not the boat but the captain. There is no doubt when tied correctly they make a perfect segmented body, something we all have been trying to imitate with ribbing for years.

Give them a try, if anything they sure are easy to tie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts