Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you can. Trout fishing in the colorado river is at its peak right now, wish I could be fishing it. It sure looked good passing it the other day. Man...seeing it brought back these memories from a trip in late nov. 2005

If you want to catch some serious fish on this river, drift nightcrawlers. Forget your flyrod and your panther martins at home. No need to bring them. If you MUST flyfish, fish as deeply and slowly as you can with nymphs. Best spots are slow, deep pools with sandy bottoms.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't use a flyrod much (not good enough for the rado IMO, but will be soon), however my dad's friend comes along a lot, uses the flyrod for a while, and if we are outfishing him badly (we almost always are, unless it is the green drake hatch then we are even), he will switch to a drifted nightcrawler on a spinning rod. Deadly no matter what the time of year, no matter what the fish are eating they will always hit a drifted nightcrawler on this river. Also, no matter what the fish are eating they always will eat stonefly nymphs on this river. They are big, stupid trout. The water is usually stained. No need to use light tippet. They just might be the easiest trout to catch I've ever seen, besides freshly stocked bows of course. And these fish are pretty much all wild.
Later,
TFB

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice photos! I take it you're talking about the Colorado River down from Eagle or close to Glenwood Springs?

Have you ever tried throwing a big black bugger at all?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
around glenwood springs. I've never thrown a bugger there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
If you want to catch some serious fish on this river, drift nightcrawlers. Best spots are slow, deep pools with sandy bottoms.
I do the same thing on the Big T. and the Poudre and I have great luck! I fish them both down in town with that method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts