Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to places people have eaten at, little ma and pa type cafes/restaraunts that people have found with great food at various towns across the fishing west. Are there any particulars that really stick out in your mind?

One of our favorites is Grand Avenue Pizza in Grand Lake, they make the best pizza ever.  Big Ed's Steak House in Bird City, Kansas is another must visit place

·
Registered
829 Posts
Theres a place north of Wichita KS off of I35. Is a old stage coach house converted to a restaurant. They serve home style , fried chicken that comes out on a big platter plus all the fixins. Once a bowl or plate is empty of food, it is soon replaced. Fantastic food and service.

Also, in Iowa the Amana colonies, the food served there is great.

Both places be prepared, you will have a lot to eat.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
North on I-25 in Wheatland Wyo. is a place called Vimbo's that has the best breakfast buffet I have ever eaten. 5.95 and homeade sausage,local ham and bacon,fresh made cornbread,anything you want. Amazing place.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Timbos pizza in Basalt, Co. It is some seriously good stuuf. My favorite breakfast is also in Basalt at the Two Rivers Cafe. Best breakfast burritto ever.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost forgot the Maverick Cafe in Lander, Wyo makes a killer breakfast that is very cheap on the wallet. I will have to jot some of these down to try out some day...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jan's in buena vista, is great, Ive been eatin that lady's cookin since I was about ten or eleven years old and it don't get much better IMO.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Troutaholic-this might sound funny,but the bowling alley in Grand Lake has the best pizza west of Edgewater.We also like Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs.Coo; topic dude!Mark

·
Registered
513 Posts
1.The best Mexican in Colorado= Taqueria El Nopal- El Jebel, CO- Near the confluence of the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork, and in the back of a strip mall. Best menudo and posole I have ever had. More food than a person can ever eat. Trans fats not optional. Breathable waders necessary.
2. Bruce's Bar- Severence, CO- Home of the all you can eat Rocky Mountain Oysters and Bud you can drink for $9 on Sunday nights. I do not know if they do the Bud part of it anymore, but great after a day of goose hunting.

·
0 Posts
I have to second Big Ed's! You have to see the Steak and Prime Rib to believe. They are opening a second location just outside of Elizabeth this year.

R

·
0 Posts
WAS, the Cattleman Inn in Gunnison, but it burned down, I don't know if they rebuilt it yet, but if they did I'd love to know! The best ribs in the state!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1finger said:
I have to second Big Ed's! You have to see the Steak and Prime Rib to believe. They are opening a second location just outside of Elizabeth this year. 
We ate there last fall on a pheasant hunting trip and WOW- I have never seen anything like it, biggest and best steak EVER. Blows these chain steak houses out of the water around here and from a tiny town in Kansas no less!

L

·
0 Posts
I have too many to list so I'll keep it closer to home.

Granby, the chinese resturant at the west end of town can't be beat for food or prices. Mad Munchies for sandwiches and lunch.

Kremmling, the Sportsman.

Gunnison, the mexican food joint just out of town on the west end.

Bailey, Cutthroat Cafe- best breakfast around and great prices.

Winter park, Gasthaus Eichler - spendy but great dinner.

Aurora, Helga's

·
Registered
41 Posts
I normally just pack a lunch but I'll add a nice place to eat. Check out Schmidts in Loveland off of 402 is damn good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts