Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some friends and I were discussing our favorites so I thought it would be interesting to find out what your favorites were, list your 3 favorites.

mine are
1 wipers for the fight
2walleyes for the taste
3 white bass for the fun and taste

I used to fish for trout because I had people who would take them, but now I can't give them away.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
1. Wels catfish: they eat big swimbaits, they get huge, and fishing for them in a frisky river from a drift boat requires accurate, technical casting.
2. Mangrove jack (similar to mangrove snapper): eat lures aggressively, strike the lure after they've accelerated to attack speed, give them 2 feet of line and you lose.
3. largemouth bass: made to eat swimbaits, they go thump in the night, so aggressive that catching a 10" bass on a 9" bait doesn't make me blink.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Im a fishwhore I have no favorites. Its why I drive so much to fish.

Whatever gives the most size and action.

Tigers were my fav last week.

Those Browns up north are my fav in the fall.

Eyes this time of year.

Perch thru the ice makes me giggle like a little girl.

Also nothing better than catching eyes on a bobber-or 10lb rainbows.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
So many it's hard to decide.
Cold Saltwater, King Salmon are near the top of the list for the fight and best eating, Silvers, Lings, Halibut and rockfish also.
Warm saltwater, Tuna are awesome fun to catch and eat, so many others hard to list them all but Wahoo, Dorado and all the billfish species rock.
Colorado, I live on Lake Granby and have caught the same tagged Lake trout 4 times but also enjoy all the other species out there but compared to Saltwater fishing, Co is kind of boring.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
1. Wiper-for the fight
2. Pike- they are aggressive, fight good, and are badass looking
3. Walleye- I just like the look of them
4. Channel Cats- The fight, and they were the fish that got me into everything else
5. Crappies because when you get into them your really into them, I love it!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wipers, Walleyes, Crappies. I am sure that I would love fishing for those salt water fish that Redleader mentioned above too if I was filth rich.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Wipers, Walleyes, Crappies. I am sure that I would love fishing for those salt water fish that Redleader mentioned above too if I was filth rich.
Dont need to be filth rich. Virtually anyplace in Mexico where you can access a beach and rent a panga you can pound mackerels, roosters, tunas, all kinds of hard fighting fish!

I use 30lb braid on a 4000 shimano on a 8' salmon rod. If the fish is too big ya gotta chase em but if they are still too big ya just clamp down on the spool and snap em off.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I use 30lb braid on a 4000 shimano on a 8' salmon rod. If the fish is too big ya gotta chase em but if they are still too big ya just clamp down on the spool and snap em off.
My light rod has 40lb braid on a 5000 and I keep an extra spool with 20lb mono for ultralight stuff. After getting smoked by a nice Yellowfin I added an 18000 Saragosa with close to 50lbs of drag that holds 400 yards of 80 pound braid to my travel gear.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Freshwater, I would have to say wiper. Just because they're rare, fight hard and wiper fishing is new to me so that's my new kick.

Tarpon, because for whatever reason, with all the different fishing I've done, flyfishing for tarpon just sticks out in my mind. It was like a pseudo-religious experience. Maybe it was because I grew up watching tarpon fishing videos and reading about it in magazines and never thought I would do it myself.

Tuna because there's just nothing quite like being on a party boat in the ocean and getting put on a hot tuna bite. We got a fresh one!!!!!! You fly-line a sardine and once the bait starts swimming way faster than you know it ever could, you clamp down the lever drag and hold on. This past summer I went on a 1 day trip out of San Diego and we got into bluefin and yellowfin. You get on the boat around 10pm, go to sleep and then wake up at about 4am and you're down in Mexican waters on the fish. I forgot to mention that you have to stop at the bait tanks on the way out. One of the best fishing experiences I've ever had and I can't wait to go on an even longer trip. They have trips that are like three weeks or longer. Definitely not for everyone. I couldn't imagine what that's like but I would do it if I had the money. Those trips are definitely out of my price range.

Like slayer said, you don't have to be rich to catch stuff like tuna and tarpon. My buddy and I saved up $500 each last summer and drove to San Diego. We camped at lake Jennings so we didmt spend much on accommodations and basically used all our money for fishing. I've caught tuna on 3/4 day trips down there and they run about $120 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Top water LM for excitement. Monster cats below Oahe for power. Spawning kokanee for exhaustion. Brookies for fun.

Daydreaming, mako on the fly, tarpon, tuna.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1) pike - caught a 3' pike on a light rod with 4lb line. After that I have been hooked
2) brook trout - something about pulling a trout out of a beaver pond on a 3wt is addictive
3) rainbow trout - pulling out stocker rainbow every 2-3 casts is a lot of fun with the kids. Hook into a 20"+ one is a fun fight on light gear

·
Registered
127 Posts
In Colorado
Walleye...best eating.
Perch......best eating
Crappie....best eating

In Tennessee
Sauger........best eating.
Red Ear........best eating and fight great.
Redneck women...best eating if clean properly and they eat back.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Redneck women...best eating if clean properly and they eat back.
lol!!...careful see Slayer's finger...

I need a tarpon trip even if it is baby tarpon on light tackle...

In Colorado...

1) Wipers on lght tackle and topwater...those first sizzling runs...let the big ones go...better yet let them all go...since they seem to be stocked in limited quantities these days...
2) Lakers just dogged determination...even got one in the teens weight wise on topwater with witnesses...would chase them more in the winter if it wasnt for ski traffic...let the big ones go!...
3) Walleyes...just an enigma with fins at times and oh the table fare...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
1) Wipers on lght tackle and topwater
I read an article once, I think it was a Nebraska fishing mag, about how everybody wants to go out and try to catch big wiper on light gear and the result were exhausted fish that weren't reviving in the first place or dying within a couple days. Just something that has stayed in the back of my mind since I've read it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I read an article once, I think it was a Nebraska fishing mag, about how everybody wants to go out and try to catch big wiper on light gear and the result were exhausted fish that weren't reviving in the first place or dying within a couple days. Just something that has stayed in the back of my mind since I've read it.
Hee-Heeeee...
Z gettin' schooled by the Boob!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts