Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Ummmm early in the season never had one not revive and swim off fine...or seen a subsequent dead one and fishing the same area for weeks solid where the waves blow in predominently all day...but the water was still in the 50s...lets just say I know of a 12 pounder caught on light gear with 4 lb line that was realeased with 50 feet of 2 lb line attached to the back hinge of the jaw for tracking purposes...as slayer can attest that bobber was seen swimming for a couple of months...so he can school away all he wants...I wouldnt do it in the middle of summer however...

·
P I K E
10,265 Posts
And keep me out of your fantasies...
But dude, you're so easy to fantasize about...like a big ole Koosh Doll!!! :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows: :biggrin1:

·
P I K E
10,265 Posts
1) Pike...it's just a given!
2) Lakers...well it's the tug that gives me the pike woody. Like Zman says...tie a 20lb laker to a 20lb pike and the laker would drown the pike! I've caught a lot of 20lb pike that pulled like a train though!!!
3) Toss up between walleye and wiper. I've caught a lot more walleye than wiper but that 16lb'r I caught drug my azz up and down the dam at 2:30 in the morning pitch black out...WHAT A RUSH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
But dude, you're so easy to fantasize about...like a big ole Koosh Doll!!! :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows: :biggrin1:
Pikester, Colonative, Slayer with an rc plane stuck in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G...lol

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It's almost impossible for me to choose.... There's so many great bites throughout the year that my favorite species to chase seems to change quite a bit. If I had to choose 3

1. Tiger Muskie: They make me feel like a clueless doof more often than not but I can't seem to leave them alone. Tigers are like that ***** ex girlfriend that only seems to come around when you've just about forgot about her just to get in your head. As soon as I'm ready to throw in the towel on tiger fishing in Colorado I'll catch another Tiger or get followed by a giant that leaves me shaking for an hour.

2. Brook Trout: Small stream brookie fishing without another person within miles is about as good as it gets in my book.

3. Wiper: Freshwater freight trains.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, it is tough. 99.9% of my fishing has taken place in Colorado. I've never caught a saltwater fish.

I like catching just about everything and I tend to chase the bite throughout the seasons.

January through March..it has to be lake trout. I love catching them through the ice and you've got a shot at the biggest fish that swim in Colorado.

Catfish are next..You'll get a short two week window in early February out east and then a good daytime bite from April until the end of June. Another apex predator that gives a great fight.

Crappie..Mid April through May..good to eat...look cool..but after a limit or two..would rather fish for something else.

Wiper..love those sizzling runs..can get them early at the end of March into April..but they fight so much better when the water warms up a bit. May and June...and again in the fall..or night fishing July and August.

Walleyes..I think you can learn more about fishing in general ...fishing for walleyes... than any other species. Of course my favorite time to fish for them is may and June..

Smallmouth..I don't really target smallmouths..catch them incidentally while fishing for eyes..A fish that fights much harder than its size would suggest..

Pike..What's not to like..big ..toothy critters..For the fight..I like the water temps to hit 55..on up to 70 or so..Makes for a good early summer/late spring bite..and then
again in the fall. Tigers were fun also, but I've only landed four and they all came from out of state..Kind of a spastic pike on steroids.

Trout..Love fishing Spinney in the early summer and fall. A blast on the fly rod in the summer and then tubes in the fall. Great runs and acrobatics..

Cutts..beautiful fish and a great way to beat the heat in the summertime...Can't beat the scenery. Late June...early July through September..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ummmm early in the season never had one not revive and swim off fine...or seen a subsequent dead one and fishing the same area for weeks solid where the waves blow in predominently all day...but the water was still in the 50s...lets just say I know of a 12 pounder caught on light gear with 4 lb line that was realeased with 50 feet of 2 lb line attached to the back hinge of the jaw for tracking purposes...as slayer can attest that bobber was seen swimming for a couple of months...so he can school away all he wants...I wouldnt do it in the middle of summer however...
Wasn't trying to school anybody, it was just something I remember after reading your post. Wasn't expecting it to change your views, I have never personally witnessed a problem with revival. Sounds like you have done more "research" than me by tracking one though

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Wasn't expecting it to change your views, I have never personally witnessed a problem with revival.
Two of these were unintended kills:

They were cramping like mad. Their bodies were frozen in convoluted positions and I couldn't even straightened them out. 6-8 ft of water on near 80 degree day.

Oh, and there was still room in our possession limit for more. :biggrin1:

Favorite fish for me are:

1. Wipers for the thrill
2. Whites for the kill
3. Walleyes for killing time

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've never caught a saltwater fish.
Lucky for you or you would be ruined for life.

Very nice summation you put up just missing Largemouth, Perch and Kokanee.
Do we still have Saugeyes here?
I agree Wipers are a blast to catch but run out of steam after 1 or 2 runs.

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
Just a 10 lb bonita SCREAMS drag about 5-6 times. Ungodly fast runs-

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Theres a summer and fall Albacore fishery off the coast of Washington,after talking to the charters at the boat show they claim once you get in to them you won't want to Salmon fish anymore. I may get a chance to check that out prior to heading north this year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ocean: Calico Bass - Loved flying lining sardines and waiting for them. Something about having to pay attention to the line movement instead of the pole. Great eating fish. I'm sure they'd be a blast with swim baits, in a small boat working the edges of kelp beds.

Fresh Water: Red Ear - Grew up catching 2 pounders in 40 feet of water with 2 or 4 lbs. line. Felt like you were fighting an 8 pound bass. Again, great eating, especially at that size. Really want to go chase the big ones on Havasu some day.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts