Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

What is your favorite fishery in Colorado?

• Other (please state)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Williams Fork Reservoir

• Elevenmile Reservoir

• South Platte River

• Colorado River

• Rocky Mountain Arsenal

• Jerry Creek Reservoir #1

• Yampa River

• Spinney Mountain Reservoir

• Blue Mesa Reservoir

• Gunnison River

• Pueblo Reservoir

• Chatfield Reservoir

• Cherry Creek Reservoir

• Stagecoach Reservoir

• Mcphee

• Flattops (general area)

• White River

• Grand Mesa (general area)

• Gross Reservoir

• Lake Granby

• Fryingpan River

• Blue River

• Taylor Park Reservoir

• Taylor River

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in your opinion what do you think is the best fishery in Colorado? I believe it is Jerry Creek Reservoir #1. Bluegills are easily over 10", including some up to 14". If you get bored catching a bunch of these, you can catch a bunch of decent largemouth. I've personally caught 5 over 5 pounds there, 3 of them in 2005. The largemouth fishing is faster than anywhere in the state, and if you fish it hard and hit it right, 50 bass days are very common.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: Best Fishery In Colorado?

I guess it depends on what you are after.

I picked other because when Antero is full, there is nothing like that place.

·
Registered
198 Posts

what kind of poll is this? the best fihery ?...for what...when...how...depth...species...shore...boat...artificial...live...? it's all relative. more like fisheries for me! chatfield when it's not frozen, cherry creek during the summer peak, john martin when it's has a constant water level? sterling before the famers take the majority of it, bonny if it has water, pueblo in the summer and the south platte all year...just to name a few.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

Mine isn't even on the list-Pueblo.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There. I changed it to your favorite fishery, cuz that is probably the best thing. Best is all relative. Kirby- I put some warmwater places on there, but most of them offer trout as well. If I made a list of everyone's favorite fishery in colorado I would've had to make at least 50 different choices, and even then many wouldn't be satisfied. That is why there is the other category. It get's a good discussion going. Kirby, you also know I greatly respect warmwater fisherman as I am one myself.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pueblo, Brush Hollow and the South Platte river.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My favorite fishery is the one I am standing in front of at the moment. My next favorite is the one I'm planning to fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's a tough one to answer.
I have many favorites.
Depends on the time of year, runoff conditions, bug hatches, etc.
Most of my favorites are not on the list posted, probably a good thing!

Thumper

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Aurora, Pueblo, Trinidad...two words...

BIG WIPERS!

I hope to add Cherry Creek to the list...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have heard that there are some nice fish in Jerry Creek. Would hate to catch a mess of
nice bluegill and have to return them without getting to take a few home.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where's the Northern Frontrange (Fort Collins/Loveland-area) fisheries?

Mine's probably a toss-up between Horsetooth, Carter or one of the many small ponds in the area.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I havent fished enough to say what my favorite is but so far I have had the best times on the Taylor river and the Gunnison Rivers.

·
P I K E
10,138 Posts
    If its serious trout I feel like its gotta be Lake John.
It would be Williams Fork when I want some serious pike fishing!!!
    For walleye its Chatfield, and for fun and food its 11 Mile!!!    ;D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love the black canyon... Especially during annual Salmon fly hatch  and Lake Fork of the Gunnison...But I would have to agree with Walking Eagle...
Walking Eagle said:
My favorite fishery is the one I am standing in front of at the moment. My next favorite is the one I'm planning to fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not a shocker for those that have read my posts but Aurora is tops for me. Clean lake, no powerboats or jet skis, and the quality of fishs is unmistakable.

M

·
0 Posts
Ummm. Unlisted and can't pin down just one.

North Sterling - cleanest campgrounds I've stayed in, very little PWC and Ski traffic, challenging, great layout. Great wiper fishery. Rarely crowded

Williams Fork - Nice sized fish, never seen PWC or ski traffic. Great trout fishery. Rarely crowded, don't have to pay to camp there.

Prewitt - Great catfish (before dead pool a couple years ago), rarely crowded, local Sherriff patrols regulary for hoodlums (makes his rounds about once every other hour). Never ever crowded, don't have to pay to camp there.

Blue Mesa - beautiful area - my favorite for fishing in the fall when the crowds have gone.

Generally, I favor a body of water where I can pull up next to it in the truck, camp on the shore, let the dogs run around WITHOUT bothering other people, not have to pay an arm and a leg for a campground with pit toilets, and doesn't have crowds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Roaring Fork between Aspen and Woody Creek.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
How come pikeview isnt on the list?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts