Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't create a poll with my phone...so I will just ask...

When it comes to "general" lure techniques...what are you spooling on your reels? I use power pro braid with a p-line flouro leader or straight mono for "lighter" applications. I am debating spooling a spin reel with flouro this season but am hesitant due to a bad experience with Vanish back in the day...it did poorly on a spin reel.

Does anyone use mono with a flouro leader? The only thing I don't like about mono is the stretch on a the hookset of a long cast...too much give.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Most times I fish a specific line for the rod/real I fish. If you are talking about warmwater species..which from your post, that's what it sounds like? Power pro is great stuff, especially paired with P-line Floroclear leaders. But I wouldn't recommend it for all around purposes: more for your plastics, and awesome for jigs. My two all around lines are P-line Evolution (I cannot say enough about this line...it is amazing), and Stren Magnathin. They both will work for just about everything..with the P-line being thinner, stronger, smoother, & more sensitive. On Spinning reels I have two, one with Power Pro & a Floro Leader, the other with Trilene Maxx. Don't know if that helps any?

Agreed about Vanish...it is garbage.

D.J.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ditch the vanish, I have tried it several times and never liked the results.
The only rigs I have left with mono on them are a downrigger rod and planer board rod. Everything else is braid or flouro.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Another P-Line die hard. I have P-Line CXX (also called Extra Strong) in moss green on all my reels, except on one 5-1 Curado I use for deep cranks. That crankstick gets P-Line Evolution 8lb. in smoke. I crank with the Evo due to its low stretch, and low diameter. It is also just glassy smooth, and shoots off the spool like it was shot from a gun. I have determined that all the P-Line is rated at about half strength, so in areas where stealth is a critical factor, I drop one or two sizes in line. I catch a LOT of fish on 4lb. CXX.

I just like good ole nylon I guess. I have never had any problems with it. It is cheap, abrasion resistant, a little stretchy (which I like,) knots well, and is plenty strong for my needs.

I do like to fish frogs with braid, it works great in grass. But where we got mat? ???

SS

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
In general, I have 10-12lb line on my regular rods and reels.

Citica: 10lb Triline 100% flouro
Curado: 12lb Yo Zuri hybrid
Viento: 10lb Yo Zuri H2O 100% flouro
Revo (swimbait rod): 15lb Yo Zuri H2O 100% flouro

I generally just throw the flouro on the whole reel because i hate tying leaders all the time. Maybe a little more dough...but it's worth the convenience. For topwater, I don't like using flouro if I can avoid it obviously.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can always count on you guys for solid answers. Thanks a ton.

I should clarify that I currently use power pro on 2 baitcast setups(sometimes with p line flouro leader), same line on one "heavier" spin set up, and mono on my "light grub/tube" setup. I am mainly looking to replace mono and am contemplating ditching braid on 1 baitcast and possibly my "heavy" spin setup. Sounds like there are flouros that work well for a mainline. And I agree Rivr...tying leaders sucks...especially in heavier cover at night where there are lots of snags.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
One of my favorite setups is Fireline Crystal tipped with a short (24") leader of fluorocarbon, joined with a uni-to-uni knot (you can find this on any of the fishing knot web sites). The fluoro leader is useful because the fireline is quite visible in the water, in spite of everything the manufacturer would like you to believe. The fluoro is invisible, but even so a short leader is enough.

There is no point at all in loading your whole spool with fluorocarbon, it makes real expensive filler and you will never get the good out of most of it.

If you use the Vanish line for leaders only, like I do, you will never have a problem with it as long as your knots are sound. Remember that not all fishing knots hold well in fluorocarbon, and that is doubly true for fireline.

W. E.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
power pro 30lb with pline floro leader is my mainstay. used to fish straigt pline on spinning reals, sucked to say the least, ok on baitcasters. despite earlier thought flouro does streach allot, early claims of allmost zero streach were bs. seach on the web some tests show floro streaching allmost as much as mono.

·
Registered
724 Posts
dropshot said:
Any feedback on Suffix 832?
Love it-I have Power Pro on a baitcaster with/fluor leader X50 and its good but I have two spinning reels done up with Suffix 832 and love it.
Very smooth, doesn't make much of the "braid" sound and does not absorb water-sweet! Use the X50 Fluoro (made by Seaguar) for a leader and love them both. I also have two spinning realls fully loaded with the X50 and love it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I use a variety of things, depending on what the setup is used for.

- General swimbait rods (1 - 4 oz, and 2 - 6 oz): P-line CXX - I like the toughness of the line, it is strong (e.g., 25 lb CXX probably tests closer to 35 lbs), and it is relatively cheap so even though it has memory problems, refilling your reel isn't a major blow to the wallet.
- Topwater swimbait rod (2 - 6 oz lures): 65-lb Power Pro, sometimes with a 2 - 3' 30-lb Big Game leader. Normally I dispense with the leader, since the fish that are going to come up and kill a 9" topwater aren't worried about the leader. It does help with some walking baits, though, since they tend to foul the braid.
- Frog rod: 50-lb Power Pro - I was introduced to the wisdom of using braid for frog fishing a few years back and I'll never go back to mono. The 50-lb Power Pro has the strength to give a fish a bit of curry way back in the slop and then bring it in, with about 20 lbs of the weeds attached.
Float and fly rod: 10-lb Power Pro, 6-lb fluoro leader.
- Jerkbait rod: 15-lb Power Pro with an 8, 10, or 12-lb fluoro leader - leader strength depends on what I'm throwing, normally I run the 10-lb leader.
- kokanee trolling rods: 8-lb fluoro - here's one case where I could probably get away with a "fill" of regular 8 or 10-lb mono and then top it with 50 or so feet of 8-lb fluoro. I found that I got more strikes and hooked more fish with fluoro vs. mono, so that's the reason behind those setups.
- medium spinning rods (the kids): 15-lb Power Pro with 10-lb mono or fluoro leaders. These setups are strong enough that if you pull very carefully, you can straighten the average treble hook - something important when the casts are being made by sometimes distracted youngsters ("Son, you've got to keep reeling that rattletrap!" "But Dad, look at this cool bug right here...hey, my lure is stuck!")

I have other set-ups but those are the ones that get the most use these days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts