Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So my buddy has been talking to me about buying a 10 ft 5 wt rod. All the talk has me a little intrigued and am curious if any of you have one or have some advice about one. Am not sure if it's a good idea or good fit or not. I currently own just one rod (a TFO Pro 8'6" 5 wt) and like the idea of maybe some extra reach to help with my dead drift. Also heard they tend to be easier on the lighter tippets.

Am primarily a nymph fishermen (as probably most of us are on the boards I would imagine). I don't do Czech nymphing...just regular indicator nymphing. I've been flyfishing for two years now and would consider Cheesman my home waters. My buddy says Sage makes a 10ft 5 wt but is way too much (bout $700). I see TFO makes one in their Pro series, the same as my rod, for just under $200. Love my TFO Pro.

Do you think getting a 10ft 5wt for nymph fishings a good idea? Anyone know how they cast or uses one for nymph fishing? If you only owned a 8'6" 5wt and mostly nymph fished The Canyon and had a few hundred bucks to spend for another rod what would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

S

·
0 Posts
Yes, a 10' will give you that extra reach when nymphing, and is actually a benefit if thats your preferred method. It will protect light tippett (6x,7x) very well. I'd go with a 3wt or 4wt instead of the 5 though based on physical weight. A 10' 5wt will feel like a heavier 8wt if you're hucking beaded nymphs with shot and indicator.
The 3wts actually play and lift fish just like a good 5wt does while adding the extra reach and security of tippett. Test cast all you can to be sure the rod does what you want and the action is right for you.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
My first experience with a 10' 5wt was a rod I built my dad on a rainshadow blank. Talk about extra casting distance, it slings line great! I've never fished one, but the reach is nicer. I second jim on the 3 or 4 wt though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Get a hardy demon, then grab some dry flies &some streamers. Now walk in the cheese when you get to the top of the canyon and scream out sage sucks. Go down to the water a watch the gods shine on you

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I just bought a Grey's Streamflex 10ft. 5wt. for under two bills. It casts real nice-like.

(It feels nothing like an 8wt.....it feels kind of like a 9ft. 5wt.....only a little longer. ;D)

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Yes, as all have pointed out, a 10' will give you an advantage. However you already have a 5wt. Get yourself something smaller, I would think a 3wt or 2wt. Get a 9' and that will give you all kinds of options.

Jim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...thanks for all of the great advice. Definitely a lot to think about.

Since I have a 8'6" 5 wt am gonna stay away from the 9' for now. But I really like your idea Jim about a 10 ft 3wt or 4wt. That's were I'm leaning now.

A switch rod is something to think about too. But I'm thinkin as a noob that I'll take some baby steps. I don't get out much on the flat water or any bigger rivers yet. Since I'm really looking for a nymphing rod I don't want to add the extra weight. Damn! So many different rods, wish I had the money to buy one of each. If I'm not careful I'll end up with a basement full of rods like you addicts ;D

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone else like the Grey's Streamflex? I see they make a 10 ft 4wt.

Tom

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tom,

10 ft and longer rods will allow you to mend and roll cast like a champ. The disadvantages is at short distances (like most the fishing we do on the S. Platte). That said, knowing the water you fish I don't think a 10' rod would make any sense for ya at this point in the game. If and when you start fishing out of a boat and on some big water like the reef, Colorado, etc. then I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Not a huge fan of the 10' rod unless you are going to be czech nymphing... casting is less precise which sucks... I would move up from the 8'6" on my go to rod though... controlling a 9' rod is easy and you will notice a lot of benefits to the 9' (longer reach, better menging, more power)... just a thought.

I too would get a lighter weight in the 10' rod if you chose to go that way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Theo and Oyey. After readin through all of this again, I'm starting to rethink getting a specialty rod...especially since I only have one rod at this point as it is. It's probably a little too early in my fly fishing career to start focusing on technique specific rods since I've only been doing this a couple of years.

Maybe I'd be better off saving up some more money and buying a better 9' 5 wt. I should probably start by upgrading to a better rod first. And that way I can at least have a backup rod if I break mine or an extra for my wife, brother, Dad etc...

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I'm a classic overthinker...

Tom

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
bartendertom said:
Thanks Theo and Oyey. After readin through all of this again, I'm starting to rethink getting a specialty rod...especially since I only have one rod at this point as it is. It's probably a little too early in my fly fishing career to start focusing on technique specific rods since I've only been doing this a couple of years.

Maybe I'd be better off saving up some more money and buying a better 9' 5 wt. I should probably start by upgrading to a better rod first. And that way I can at least have a backup rod if I break mine or an extra for my wife, brother, Dad etc...

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I'm a classic overthinker...

Tom
Tom, you got the message man... I was not sure how much experience you had, and didn't want to offend, but the first thing that really came to mind was, wow, he only has one rod, an 8'6 5 wt... getting a specialty rod is a ways out... you could get a 9' 5 or 4 wt and have a hoot on most waters...

I still have this rod for sale too, EXCELLENT rod for the price.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=58243.0

I got rid of the line, but have a GPX 4wt I could sell for 50 bucks...

·
Registered
64 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
I just bought a Grey's Streamflex 10ft. 5wt. for under two bills. It casts real nice-like.

(It feels nothing like an 8wt.....it feels kind of like a 9ft. 5wt.....only a little longer. ;D)
I tried one of those in a 9ft 4wt at a Fly Fishing Show and I'll second that opinion. It felt almost like my Loomis Classic GLX - for $280. Lifetime warranty, too. Has to be one of the best rod values around -

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 10' 6wt Scott SAS which is my big water nymphing weapon. One waterhaul and let'er fly- mend forever and highstick 30 feet away. It is not a casting weapon, strictly ball and chain for BIG water

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I'm getting a 10' rod for dunking worms.

Put the rope away. I'm kidding. I was thinking of a 10' rod for nymphs too. With my long arms and a 10' rod I could fish from the bank. ;D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts