Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at quail lake yesterday & found alot of mussel shells on shore. I notified DOW but I was thinking the already knew about it. I got this response below.

"Thank you for the notice. I will be sure our sampling crews check Quail Lake for mussels. We do not have a record of them being present there. I will let you know what we find. Thanks, Elizabeth Elizabeth Brown
| Invasive Species Coordinator "|

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Re: Zebra mussels in quail lake

There are other species of mollusks in CO besides zebra mussels, some are actually harmless natives.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

shutupandfish said:
There are other species of mollusks in CO besides zebra mussels, some are actually harmless natives.
I was thinking the same thing, how large were they?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Some where as small as 2 inches I didn't see any larger than 3 inches. They had brownish curved faded stripes. I don't mean to fuel any fire I was trying not to allude to saying they where an invasive mollusk. I tried to put a question mark on my post but it's hard when typing from a phone. I posted it so people who fish there can be aware & possibly clarify what I saw. If they are an invasive species then the wrong approach is being taken to prevent the spread.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sounds like ordinary native fresh-water mussels, to me.

Zebra mussels, when full grown, are about the size of a fingernail. And they go down from there, not up.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
depayne12 and I were fishing Spinney from float tubes when rangers came up on us in a boat to check our licenses. The guy in the front asked me if we were fishing the callibaetis hatch. I told him that I was, but depayne12 was using zebra mussels.

They failed to see the humor...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts