Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Santa Barbara late July for a wedding and have decided to camp our way back to CO for our summer trip with the kids. Looking at visiting Zion National Park in UT. Definitely will be wetting a fly, but also wondering if anybody has any feedback on campgrounds in the area. I'll have a 5wt, 8wt, and 6/7 switch with me so will be well equipped for whatever species.

You guys have any experience/feedback with this area?

·
Registered
356 Posts
My sister and her husband are hardcore rock climbers and go to Zion multiple times per year.

She said this time of year you may have difficulty reserving a site; so they usually do walk-ups. They usually end up at "Watchman" (a bigger one), but you can't go wrong anywhere in that park. Also, I guess they are pretty strict on where dogs can and can't go in Zion, so if you're traveling with a mutt that might be something to consider. Finally there are some decent hotels in the area; in case you get skunked finding a camping site.

She travels a lot and said Zion is one of her favorite spots anywhere. I feel confident in saying you are in for a real treat, even though I've never been (yet)!

Have fun man!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that Watchman is one of the only places that takes reservations, but I'll keep searching. Aside from the trout, looks like the LMB action is pretty good around there as well. Thanks for the feedback, b.reelz

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do not pass up Southern Utah, lots of fishy water.

Take UT 14 out of Cedar City, stop at Cedar Breaks if you want, beautiful. Panguitch Lake can be good, but I like the East Fork of the Sevier which runs along US89. Lots of public access, good browns. Follow 89 up to I-70 if you want. Mammoth Creek. The Sevier has fish all the way to I-70.Even more fishy water if you want to get off the beaten track in the Tushars, Monroe, and Fishlake areas, PM me if you want additional 411.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do not pass up Southern Utah, lots of fishy water.

Take UT 14 out of Cedar City, stop at Cedar Breaks if you want, beautiful. Panguitch Lake can be good, but I like the East Fork of the Sevier which runs along US89. Lots of public access, good browns. Follow 89 up to I-70 if you want. Mammoth Creek. The Sevier has fish all the way to I-70.Even more fishy water if you want to get off the beaten track in the Tushars, Monroe, and Fishlake areas, PM me if you want additional 411.
Clack, I was under the impression that the Sevier running along US 89 was mostly private property. I go to Cedar City quite often with my wife whose sister lives there. I have driven US 89 off and on and wondered about access so it's good to hear that it may not be so off limits as I thought.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Headed to Santa Barbara late July for a wedding and have decided to camp our way back to CO for our summer trip with the kids. Looking at visiting Zion National Park in UT. Definitely will be wetting a fly, but also wondering if anybody has any feedback on campgrounds in the area. I'll have a 5wt, 8wt, and 6/7 switch with me so will be well equipped for whatever species.

You guys have any experience/feedback with this area?
I did a permit hike in Zion with some friends last April, I believe it was called The Subway. The hike basically takes you down into the valley and you follow the creek all the way up to the really cool rock formation made from the water passing through.

Awesome hike (REALLY long though), but there were LOTS of trout in the creek on the way up. I was so bummed I didn't have a fly rod with me, but they looked like they'd gobble up some dry flies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a permit hike in Zion with some friends last April, I believe it was called The Subway. The hike basically takes you down into the valley and you follow the creek all the way up to the really cool rock formation made from the water passing through.

Awesome hike (REALLY long though), but there were LOTS of trout in the creek on the way up. I was so bummed I didn't have a fly rod with me, but they looked like they'd gobble up some dry flies.
That hike looks amazing but I don't think my 8 year old would hold up to well. We did the hike up to Skinny Fish Lake in the Flat Tops last summer and that was about all that she could handle. Can't wait to explore the Zion area though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts