Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hand warmers are just another thing i buy for EVERY ice fishing trip and would love to reduce the waste :/

Anyone try these before? Seems weird to me to have it burning in your pocket but must be safe.. Right?

http://www.zippo.com/products/handwarmer.aspx?bhjs=0



Claims **12 hour burn time (new version)

The Zippo Hand Warmer is a rugged, metal hand warmer by the folks who make our favorite brand of lighter. It has a high-polish finish and a sleek, thin design so it easily fits into pockets, and it’s virtually odorless (great for hunters!) and stays warm for up to 12 hours. Plus, it’s reusable with Zippo lighter fluid and includes a convenient filler cup and warming bag. Whatever you're doing out there in the cold, keep a Zippo Hand Warmer in your pocket and you'll stay happy and warm doing it.

* Rugged metal construction
* Sleek and compact design
* Reusable w/ Zippo premium lighter fluid
* Virtually odorless - great for bounty hunters
* 12-hour burn time
* Dimensions: 2.75" x 3.75" x .25" (7 x 9.5 x .6 cm)
* Includes convenient filler cup and warming bag
* Ideal for trips to Hoth, comet watching, star parties, and other outdoor excursions
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,918 Posts
I have had one....they're OK if you don't mind having a smoldering fire in your pocket (that's basically what it is). They also have the smell of burining alcohol - not sure if that would have any effect on fish attraction or on scaring fish away.

I never used it while I was fishing.

If I remember right, they can also leak...it's been a lot of years since I've owned one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
These have been around a long time. The brand I remember is Jon-e, still available. Work well as long as you don't mind messing with lighter fluid. I don't recall 12 hours so that sounds pretty good. They do get hot, (hotter than the tea bags) so you can't use without the felt cover. The tea bag warmers are flexible so you can put them in your boots or gloves. Can't really do that with the zippo pocket heater.

If you fish with a hut and have a decent propane heater I don't think you'd really need one of these -- just more to mess with. OTOH fish aren't turned off by lighter fluid on your hands and I guess it's always good to have extra heat going on. . . :)

You can buy a big box of the tea bag heaters this time of year at Sams or Costco pretty cheap. They are just saw dust and some benign oxidizing salt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Guy said:
I have had one....they're OK if you don't mind having a smoldering fire in your pocket (that's basically what it is). They also have the smell of burining alcohol - not sure if that would have any effect on fish attraction or on scaring fish away.

I never used it while I was fishing.

If I remember right, they can also leak...it's been a lot of years since I've owned one.
LMAO.. yeah i dont want a fire in my p[ocket either really LMAO.. Especially if they sometimes leak!! I want to be warm.. but not ON FIRE!! :)


albow said:
These have been around a long time. The brand I remember is Jon-e, still available. Work well as long as you don't mind messing with lighter fluid. I don't recall 12 hours so that sounds pretty good. They do get hot, (hotter than the tea bags) so you can't use without the felt cover. The tea bag warmers are flexible so you can put them in your boots or gloves. Can't really do that with the zippo pocket heater.

If you fish with a hut and have a decent propane heater I don't think you'd really need one of these -- just more to mess with. OTOH fish aren't turned off by lighter fluid on your hands and I guess it's always good to have extra heat going on. . . :)

You can buy a big box of the tea bag heaters this time of year at Sams or Costco pretty cheap. They are just saw dust and some benign oxidizing salt.
Yeah i figured that they would be a bust LOL.. Just a friend that i work with mentioned them so i thought i'd look into them.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable having a fire in my pocket!! LOL And typically I mostly used the tea bag style warmers for my feet :) And I picked up a new pair of better boots this year so fingers crossed hopefully i wont need the warmers.

As for your comment "They are just saw dust and some benign oxidizing salt. " Does that mean that they aren't too horrible for the environment? I figured they were made of all kinds of nasty chemicals and stuff??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
RVinson said:
And typically I mostly used the tea bag style warmers for my feet :) And I picked up a new pair of better boots this year so fingers crossed hopefully i wont need the warmers.
They even have the sole shaped boot inserts now. Very comfortable and toasty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
RVinson said:
And typically I mostly used the tea bag style warmers for my feet :) And I picked up a new pair of better boots this year so fingers crossed hopefully i wont need the warmers.
They even have the sole shaped boot inserts now. Very comfortable and toasty!
:) Actually picked up a pair the other day to try :) Found them on a random shelf at wal-mart though and could not find the location they were suppose to be or i would have bought a couple pair :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
The Jon-e heater I had didn't leak any more than a pocket lighter but you would get the fluid on your hands adding it every few hours. The heating element is catalytic, so it glows red, no open flame. Element is protected by a stamped steel cap with vent holes and a felt cover. You do get chemical fumes. The technology is very much like the old ice fishing/tent heaters that used Coleman white gas.

Pretty sure the teabags are not bad for the environment at all. Looked into this a couple of years ago when they came out. Maybe someone who actually knows the chemistry can jump in here and verify but yeah basically just sawdust and an oxidizer that reacts with air. Worst part would probably be the packaging.

The new sole shaped boot inserts are especially useful where low clearance is a problem, like ski boots. You do need to be able to get some air in there to get and keep the oxidizing reaction (the burn) going. When skiing it's a good excuse to stop at a hut and loosen your boots. ;D

You are going to love those new Baffins! Room enough to add the teabag heaters for super cold days but I don't think I ever needed to last year. Felt like I was ice fishing in front of my tv at home, wearing comfy slippers. They made that much difference! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
albow said:
You are going to love those new Baffins! Room enough to add the teabag heaters for super cold days but I don't think I ever needed to last year. Felt like I was ice fishing in front of my tv at home, wearing comfy slippers. They made that much difference! :)
I sure hope I love them!! I actually had a pair of Baffins last year that i loved.. but my feet would still get cold if i didn't use toe warmers.

I had the Hawks.. Rated to -40f :


The new boots I got are the Squammish and are rated to -100f:


What Baffins do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
RVinson said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
RVinson said:
And typically I mostly used the tea bag style warmers for my feet :) And I picked up a new pair of better boots this year so fingers crossed hopefully i wont need the warmers.
They even have the sole shaped boot inserts now. Very comfortable and toasty!
:) Actually picked up a pair the other day to try :) Found them on a random shelf at wal-mart though and could not find the location they were suppose to be or i would have bought a couple pair :)
REI on south Wadsworth carried them last winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
What Baffins do you have?
[/quote]

I have the Impact, look similar to your pic. Hope yours work as well! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
RVinson said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
RVinson said:
And typically I mostly used the tea bag style warmers for my feet :) And I picked up a new pair of better boots this year so fingers crossed hopefully i wont need the warmers.
They even have the sole shaped boot inserts now. Very comfortable and toasty!
:) Actually picked up a pair the other day to try :) Found them on a random shelf at wal-mart though and could not find the location they were suppose to be or i would have bought a couple pair :)
REI on south Wadsworth carried them last winter.
Nice! I'll have to make a stop by there.. I keep forgetting that REI is still around. LOL

albow said:
What Baffins do you have?
I have the Impact, look similar to your pic. Hope yours work as well! :)


[/quote]Impact are rated to -148F so they are the next level up from the boots i got this year.. If my feet still get cold i wil upgrade to that level next year!! i have REALLY been wanting to get the Doug Stoup model!!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top