Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bottom line, trout are not nearly as picky as old, experienced flyfishermen. These flies work-period. If someone orders my flies and they’re not what they expected, they can slap a stamp on them, send them back, and I’ll refund them upon arrival. In the mean time, like I said earlier, I’m constantly progressing and can only get better. There is a market for flies like these...just like there’s a market for flies that last three casts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I guess I'm from the school of thought that thinks pride should be taken in your work. I mean, you don't want to send out a batch of flies to someone and they reveal that your flies are not good enough to be sold. Also, comparing oneself to the likes of 3 cast flies is pretty horrid.

I've listened and watched you enough on this forum to know you're not really looking for criticism... but when you start making videos and selling product, you are opening yourself up for criticism. People being honest with you is the best thing for your "business" and for your abilities.

A chronomid is about the easiest tie in the box, save thread midges. Make them nice, dude... it's not that hard. It sucks to hear the truth, but it sucks worse to accept poor work in the name of ego. There's a TON to be learned from this thread man... Tangler is spot on suggesting thread instead of wire for the butt (and every other suggestion he threw out there)... Thin to win... etc. You seem to be blowing it all off and ultimately that will just hurt your business and ability.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
You guys are beating your heads against a wall here.

#MEllenials!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m getting better at the taper-I think. Still haven’t perfected the red butt part, tho

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’ve had two dozen of these go out within the last week and I just started selling...if people wanna buy it, I’ll sell it

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The red butt needs to start above the hook bend. Maybe a little above where you ended it. You will have trouble with hookups and if the lip cannot settle into the hook bend you will have big fish straighten your hook. It gives the fish a leverage advantage when it pulls against the barb part of the hook. The head wraps look smoother.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I’m getting better at the taper-I think. Still haven’t perfected the red butt part, tho

Better for sure... just remember, that red butt is going way too far down the hook and it closes the gap of the hook.. that reduces hook ups. Look at the pic that Tangler posted and pay attention to where the fly "ends"...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here are a couple diff versions I twisted up. I like a turn of ostrich on some of my Chiron is and midges. The abdomen started in about the right spot. The other one with the rubber rib is too far down the bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Also what kind of thread are you using? Ultra thread 70 denier will give you a smooth body and lays flat. It is the thinnest ultra thread out there.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Very nice of you guys to try and help. He just doesn't get it. Not sure how he doesn't but you guys are wasting key strokes

You sold two dozen so two orders? Or 24 orders?

Keep posting while we all giggle and say wtf
Any competent fisherman knows that red wire is going to =lost fish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whomp, instead use small or x-fine wire for the butt. The BEST solution would be a single wrap of red tinsel or floss. It'll keep it all nice n slim to boot. And for the aforementioned advise, sage stuff man. The thread should start at about the 50% to 25% of the bend on the 200R hooks.

Tang, Oyey..... we need to get the old crew back together for a day on the water.

Silent

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Whomp, instead use small or x-fine wire for the butt. The BEST solution would be a single wrap of red tinsel or floss. It'll keep it all nice n slim to boot. And for the aforementioned advise, sage stuff man. The thread should start at about the 50% to 25% of the bend on the 200R hooks.

Tang, Oyey..... we need to get the old crew back together for a day on the water.

Silent
^^^ That is super wise regarding the tinsel or floss. Your taper improved, Whomp. The head is way less lumpy. The standard to strive for is for your thread knot circumference to not exceed that of the bead. The easiest way to achieve this is to leave the part of the shank directly behind the bead completely bare through the entire tie so that it is devoted exclusively to the whip finish. Craven calls this the index point (it's in that golden book ;) )

Silent, I haven't fly fished a river since early Spring. I think I got up to one high lake this year :eek: It's shameful ****. I've been failing fantastically at catching northern all year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Failing isnt possible without trying lol A for effort ! Ive been in the same boat last 2yrs, might have fished a dozen times vs 100x in years previous. Is there even a high lake you haven't fished ??

21 - 36 of 36 Posts